Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

0.9.0.8 crashes on iphone

0.9.0.8 crashes on iphone

PREMIUM SERVICE SUBSCRIBER.

Okay, the last couple of times I posted issues in the forum I got absolutely no response at all, but I'm going to try again, since I don't find any posts whatsoever about the 0.9.0.8 update. 

Basically it's the old standard: Spotify crashes. I downloaded the most recent update, made available earlier this morning, but the problem began 24 hours ago and has not improved. It almost seems to have gotten worse.I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling from iTunes but to no avail. I turned off the phone and re-booted afterwards, each time. My stream settings were on Norman when it first began, so I switched to High (a technique that has worked in the past). Still no help...when I open Spotify afterwards the setting is back to Normal. 

The app crashes whether there is music playing or not. It usually happens about 5 minutes after it has been opened. For the last several days I've had difficulty with albums loading. Everything will be working just fine and then all of the sudden they simply won't load and I have to close and then re-open the app. Sometimes I'm good to go after that, but not always. This may have nothing to do with the crashing issue I'm currently experiencing, but I thought it wise to mention. 

I have Spotify 0.7.6.37 running on an old 3G iPhone I'm using as a music player and so far it has not exhibited the same behavior (although it does get into the mode where it doesn't want to load albums). The phone I'm currently using, the one with the crashes, is iPhone 4.

One last thing which I don't think is applicable, but maybe I'm wrong so I'll mention it. I had installed Remoteless Spotify app on my phone a few days ago and installed the program on my computer that sent the signal from Spotify to the iPhone (I don't exactly what it does, that's what I assume it does). When the thought occured to me that this could have been the culprit I uninstalled Remoteless from app and the Remoteless Helper from my computer. This didn't help at all. I'd had the Remoteless working in the old 3G (both were working fine, I should add), but uninstalled it when the crashes began on my primary device. It's playing right now, no problems so far.

I am going to back up all my playlists and do a clean reinstall on my desktop program. It's going to be a pain, and if it doesn't work I am going to be at my wit's end, but I'm going to do it. I'll update this post with success or failure report. In the meantime, if anyone has any advice they can offer, I would appreciate it. 

Thanks

Jim Casey

7 Replies

Could you just confirm that, after removing Remoteless from you iphone, spotify is still crashing? What iOS version are you running?

Yes, I can confirm that Spotify is still crashing after Remoteless  was uninstalled.

ios 7.03

Thank you

I tried to be as detailed as possible here so...

...deleted Spotify apps from both iPhone 3 and primary device, iPhone 4.

...turned iPhone off

...unchecked all preferences and uninstalled Spotify Windows desktop.

...reinstalled Spotify Windows desktop.

...turned iPhone back on and reinstalled Spotify app on primary device

...selected an album. Bon Iver's "For Emma, Forever Ago" if that's any help. 🙂

...downloaded Spotify app to iPhone 3 while music is playing on 4, would not go through on the first try. Download succeeded on 3 but when I opened it the iPhone 4 app crashed.

...considering that it crashed at the same time as the other was opened, I deleted app from 3 once again

...I turned off the primary device and re-booted. Picked an album (the same one, if you must know), and began to play it.

...at 4:42 the app crashes.

...I thought to give it one more try, but the app crashed a couple of seconds after I tried to open it.

I'm clueless. But I am going to try, out of desperation, one more thing. I'm wondering if the Remoteless app might be the root of the problem. I hope not, but just in case I'm going to do a system restore in hopes that any bugs it may have left behind can be squashed.

Later with progress report
Thanks

...at 4:42 Spotify crashes.

So I'm back to square one. Whatever that is.

Forgive me if I missed it but have you tried resetting your phone by holding both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears?

You know, I had actually forgotten about "resetting"...it had been so long since I had to do it. For some reason I thought it would reset when I turned it off and on. I know, that's really stupid of me.

I did reset it and the album passed the 4 & 1/2 minute mark, I thought we were good to go, but it crashed right at 8 minutes. Worse, since I re-installed the desktop client it won't stay open for me, either. It stays on for about a minute and crashes. 

Beginning to get depressed...

Thanks.

So I have uninstalled, reiinstalled, done system restores, everything I can think of, having given up on the iPhone, now worried about desktop client. Ran a security check and sure enough my computer is affected, something that AVG can't fix. Hidden file application. Now I don't know much about computers but I have a very, very strong suspicion that the root of all these woes is the Remoteless application and the "helper" I had to install to make it work. I should have known better. 

Now i'm off to do a system restore because seiously without Spotify I probably wouldn't even bother owning a computer.

Thanks again

Jim Casey

I guess I'm going to move this over to the Windows board because now I can't get the desktop client to work. Not only did I uninstall and reinstall, I did a complete system restore, wiped everything. Still crashed twice. I'm currently downloading the app one last time but have no hope that it will work.

Suggested posts