Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[3GS] Spotify hangs/crashes when going to 'collection'

[3GS] Spotify hangs/crashes when going to 'collection'

Hi all,

Spotify hangs and eventually crashes after a while when going to 'collection' on my iphone 3GS.

Hence, I cannot go to my saved playlists anymore (which are stored offline for use in my car).

On my iphone 4s this does not occur.

Already tried installing it on a fully wiped 3GS: it works until after a certain time, then it contiuously crashes when hitting the 'collection' tab.

We have 2 iphone 3GS at home, both experience the same problem.

How can this be solved? I think the issue was introduced by one of the recent updates, as a few months ago this did not occur.

5 Replies

I suspect that the iphone 3GS is getting a bit too old to support the latest spotify app. What version of iOS are you running?

I'm running the latest version supported on 3GS: 6.1.3 or 6.1.5, don't remember by heart.

There is a feature available in the app store that offers to install older software to 'unsupported' models/ios versions.

However, Spotify still fully supports iphone 3GS and its latest ios version, so the fact this the phone is too old, should not count.

Does the app actually crash and close or does it just freeze?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It hangs: no button is responsive anymore, but if you are streaming music at that moment, it'll continue playing.

Once you close the app by hitting the 'home' button, and you reopen Spotify, it crashes.

I've tried to leave the app open for several minutes (up to 10 minutes), but the app never recovers. It just hangs.

The only solution at that moment is to fully uninstall spotify, reinstall it, immediately go to the 'collection' tab, then have some patience, go to the playlists and redownload all your songs.

Then it is best not to search for other music anymore, just stay on the playlist page. Not very convenient of course...

I do get these freezes even on my 4S which is why I asked. It appears to happen to me when the application crashes and it must be rebuilding the collection in the background. If I keep the application alive for like 25 mins by tapping on the screen to stop it from going to sleep it eventually recovers. Once its done that it is fine again unless the app crashes or its force closed.

I have raised it as an issue to the collection people too.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts