Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Accessing downloaded songs w. weak internet connection

Accessing downloaded songs w. weak internet connection

I have Spotify premium so I can keep music downloaded to my iPhone. However, when opening an album/song, Spotify will always try to connect to the internet to load some extra data or whatever. But if I have a weak internet connection (which is why I go for the downloaded music in the first place) it won’t open the music but keeps „connecting“. I can workaround this by shutting mobile data off completely, but that’s not an acceptable solution, especially when driving. I just want to access my downloaded music – please fix this. 

12 Replies

Hey @Mesugar 

What it could be trying to do is use Canvas which is a feature on Spotify that displays short looping videos on the track. You can disable this feature in your settings under playback. 

Let me know if this works!

Keanu_C

I've had the same problem for the past half year and canvas has been disabled the whole time. 

Hey @gunnarat - help's here!

An alternative to switching off mobile data on your phone is to use Spotify in offline mode.

You can switch this on from the app's settings so that Spotify won't use any data for your downloaded songs.

Let us know how it goes! We'll be here in case you have any further questions.

That would pose exactly the same problem, me having to do extra steps instead of the developers doing their job. 

This worked fine in prior versions but now it tries really hard to get stuff from the internet that is already on the phone. I'd check the loading logic, works like a charm when the phone is offline. Maybe the app should prioritize loading state from phone, then update the state instead of the other way around.

Hey @gunnarat,

Thanks for getting back to us.

While we recommend that you make sure you're in offline mode for the best offline listening experience, we'll do our best to troubleshoot your issue.

First off, do you mind going here and making sure that the device in question appears under the list of offline devices? Even if it does, try removing all devices and then downloading your songs again on that device.

If you're still experiencing this issue after doing the above, do you mind cross-checking with another mobile device to see if the same issue occurs there too?

Thanks! Keep us posted 🙂

I'll try it and let you know after the next subway ride. Thanks for the quick reply!

And hopefully I didn't sound like too much of knob when responding to you. I'd just rather see this forwarded to a dev team than finding ways around this that make the user juggle more settings.

No worries @gunnarat - keep us posted 🙂

It works when shutting the phone offline, but that is not a satisfying solution. To me this happens especially while driving when I pass a region with bad internet coverage. I want my navigation app to have online access as soon as I’m out of the dead spot. I don’t want to fiddle with my phone while driving. I just want Spotify to play the songs that are there anyway.

I have exactly the same problem and I don't understand why Spotify is constantly breaking something. It can't be that if I save the songs offline, I can't access them. I have to put the phone or Spotify into offline mode first. What are the beginners doing here? 

Tried it in the subway and apparently I've never bothered waiting for the loading to time out. It just shows a generic 'This page can't be loaded.' even though the album should be available offline. So it seems like the local cache is never hit with a hint of an internet connection. 

I guess this is good news since this should be easy to fix 🙏

When will be the bug fixed ?

Again, when will it be fixed ??

Suggested posts