Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ad will not load or play = dead app

Ad will not load or play = dead app

So about a week ago all of the "click here for 30 min of ad free listening" ads stopped loading for me.

What this means is that I just see the title of the ad that is supposed to to play, but the app can never leave that state (as the ad never plays and you can't skip it).

I then have to restart the spotify app. I have logged in/out as well as uninstalled / reinstalled the app to no avail.

Sometimes the ad loads at first start so I am dead in the water before I even hear a single song.

Note - If a 30 min free ad appears and I don't click on it, the regular ads seem to load fine and it does not break.

Help please!

(Using iOS v3.2.0.1554)
10 Replies

Hi,

when this happens for you - are you connected to a WiFi or a mobile network - or does it not matter?

Regards,

If my post solved your issue, please accept it as a solution.

I want to say both, but definitely while on a cellular connection. I'll need to double check on the wi-fi.

I will also try using Spotify on my phone and iPad (at the same time) and see if it device specific issue or it effects both ( account or network issue)

I use t-mobile, which has some deal in which streaming music doesn't count towards data usage. I am wondering if there is some funkiness on whitelisting/proxying of domains / urls that breaks the ad server content for some reason...

Please try that and get back here with the result. 🙂

I did try this on my phone with Telia here in Sweden and did not encounter any problems with the ads and playback.

Ok, so the update is:

- still happens on wi-fi
- iPad on same network (using same spotify account) loaded an ad just fine.

So cellular can be removed as the issue, as can an overall account issue.

Thoughts ?

Something seems like it's not working as it should!

Please provide me with the following informatione and I'll take this further to the Spotify team so that they can have a look at it.

• Which iOS-version are you running? (Settings -> Genereal -> About -> Version).
  • How much free space do you have on your phone?
  • Which iPhone do you have (the model name is stated on the back of your phone).

Thanks! 

Thanks

Iphone 6 / 128Gb (model MG572LL/A)
iOS - 8.3
Free space - 74Gb
Spotify version - 3.2.0.1554

I took some screenshots of the broken ads if that is helpful. If so, I can upload them somewhere and provide a link.

Also - just to see if it was a phone specific thing, I tried my account on an older iphone 4 / iOS 7.1.2 / 12.4gb available / same spotify 3.2.0.1554 on the same network and it worked as intended. So it seems the issue is specific to my iphone 6.

Hi again!

I've taken this further to the Spotify Team. They'll get back soon. 🙂

If you have the possibility please, upload the screenshots.

Hello, 

today Spotify released a new update, 3.0.0. Can you please update to this version and see if the problem persists or not? 🙂

So I upgraded and the ad still doesn't load. However the behavior has changed. After not loading the ad for about 3 seconds, it then goes to a music track (unsure if it counts as if I clicked on the ad and get 30 min ad free or not)

So, at least I don't have an app lock-up anymore. Still weird though... (As it doesn't happen on any of my other devices)

Suggested posts