Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

After clicking backup, lost all music files

After clicking backup, lost all music files

Hey fellow happy spotify users,

I just recently unsubscribed from premium for a multiple of reasons, but this being the biggest:

My grandfather's iPod nano had a lot of music on it.  I asked spotify to backup my files locally, but it decided to delete them all.  Opening a ticket has not even gotten me a list of the files that Spotify deleted.  I don't blame you guys for not being able to retrieve the files, but why the hell did you delete them in the first place when the button is spelled B-A-C-K-U-P.  Thanks for letting me bite the bullet of deleteing all the music off my grandfather's iPod.  I clicked B-A-C-K-U-P, thinking I could safely... you know... BACK UP the files, instead of losing all of my grandfather's music.  Just last month I was like, "Oh don't worry pop, I opened up a petition to spotify in order to get them back.  I'll be able to get them back for you."  Now not only do I have to bite the bullet for deleting the music, I also LIED to him while stringing him out.  The music was meaningful to him, which I'm sure you Spotify moderators would understand more than anyone 😉

And a little warning to Spotify, your closest competitor allows you to do everything Spotify does (with a general quicker release of albums) and also lets you hold on to your local files and PLAY THEM THROUGH THE APPLICATION ON YOUR HANDHELD DEVICE.   😮  This may also be shocking to you, buit it also DOESN'T ENCRYPT ITS FILES. :-O!!!!!  It's also cheaper WTF

P.S. Inb4 a little bit of kindness will get me a long way, because it hasn't.  Neither patience nor kindness has gotten my files back.

P.P.S.  I cancelled my premium subscription a week ago and am STILL GETTING EMAILS THAT YOUR HAVING TROUBLE CHARGING MY CARD.  I WONDER WHY.

P.P.P.S.  Your option to cancel premium subscription service is unavailable.  What kind of dictatorship is this.

5 Replies

Hi, @adventuretom , welcome to the community 🙂

You can cancel your subscription at your subscription overview page 🙂

Where is this backup button? I didn't think a functionality existed. You can sync local tracks stored on your computer to your iPod using Spotify, and this will, as documented, erase the tracks already on the device.

Liam

P.S

Could you screenshot this button you speak of?

According to:

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/How-to-sync-iPod-with-Spotify

There is a backup functionality but I have never heard of it working or anyone using it!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I just tried to use it.

It was a mistake.

spotify has deleted years worth of music from my full ipod ~ music I cant get back!!

It said it would back it up ~ and it simply didnt.

@Rayelle wrote:

I just tried to use it.

It was a mistake.

spotify has deleted years worth of music from my full ipod ~ music I cant get back!!

It said it would back it up ~ and it simply didnt.

I would drop support an email here and see if they have any ideas for you. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

You may try to get your music back with some data recovery like software.

Next time when you transfer music from iPod to computer, try iOS Transfer.

It's a tool specifically designed to transfer data between iPod and computer.

Suggested posts