I'm going to wait until the end of this month. If they don't optimize the layout and fix bugs by then, I'll have to cancel my membership and move to Apple music. I realize things take time but given the size of the company and the rate at which other apps are receiving updates, I hope for an update soon.
Ive already started my 90 day free trial (Yes 3 months free!) for Apple music i may be sticking with them from now on being the cost is exactly the same and may even have more music than Spotify anyway. At least i know the compatibility and updates will be there and Apple at least acknowledges and attempts to fux its bug
This is not a solution. As i stated previously, I have and always had the latest updates from Spotify. The screen cropping for iPhone X is still in iPhone 5S size and the other issues as to going mute after phone calls and having to always restart Spotify if interrupted by anything with audio has not ever been addressed in any update to date. 11/14/2017