Apple Watch app crashing when streaming to it

Solved!

Apple Watch app crashing when streaming to it

9_ssmz8-9exkw
Casual Listener

Hi all,

I recently noticed that the Apple Watch app added a Beta feature to stream to it directly. When I select that option though, the app shows a loading indicator for about 30 seconds and the entire watch becomes unresponsive (no buttons etc. work), and then the watch crashes, displaying the Apple logo until it restarts.

Not sure if there's any logs or something I can attach to help out, but here's my device info:

Apple Watch Series 5, on watchOS 7.0.2 (18R402)

iPhone 12 Pro (MGMT3X/A), on iOS 14.1

Spotify 8.5.81.1110

I've already tried restarting everything, and I've also completely reinstalled the Spotify app on both devices with no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

9_ssmz8-9exkw
Casual Listener

Hey Billy, thanks for your reply. Just updating this in case anyone else runs into this issue.

It turns out the problem was that I didn’t have any Bluetooth headphones connected to my watch at the time, and that was causing the entire watch to die when trying to play Spotify from it.  Connected them up and everything is working smoothly! Hopefully this helps someone (and it might be worth passing this along to the Spotify devs so they can handle this case!) 

Be well

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Billy-J
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @9_ssmz8-9exkw, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I understand your concern. I'll make sure to pass all of your feedback on to the right teams. Since this is still in a beta version, Spotify is still making improvements to the experience and listening on Apple Watch so make sure your app and device stay up to date to receive the latest versions and features.

Hope this clears things up! Have a great day.

Billy-JRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Solution!

9_ssmz8-9exkw
Casual Listener

Hey Billy, thanks for your reply. Just updating this in case anyone else runs into this issue.

It turns out the problem was that I didn’t have any Bluetooth headphones connected to my watch at the time, and that was causing the entire watch to die when trying to play Spotify from it.  Connected them up and everything is working smoothly! Hopefully this helps someone (and it might be worth passing this along to the Spotify devs so they can handle this case!) 

Be well

View solution in original post

Billy-J
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @9_ssmz8-9exkw

Sure thing, I'll pass it on. Thanks for letting me know the resolution, and I'm happy to hear everything is good to go. If you need help in the future, you can always start a new topic and the Community will be happy to help.

Have a great day!

Billy-JRock Star 24
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Djtnut
Casual Listener

I have tried the Spotify app twice on my Apple Watch SANS phone for running and it was paired with non-Apple Bluetooth headphones on both occasions (plantronics backbeat fit and 180s Bluetooth ear warmers which are both a few years old or more but still play fine when paired to iPhone 11 Pro). 

watch fully crashed both times and I’m a little embarrassed to say that it totally disrupted my run both times. First time I just stopped and waited and stretched as it was pretty early on in my run. Second time I stopped to try to reboot watch but then just said F it and started running again. 

I was tracking with Strava on watch too. Watch 3.0 with (AT&T) cellular running latest watch OS. 

pretty frustrated and don’t want to have to bring my phone when running. That was the whole point of buying the Apple Watch in the first place!

CarlosE

Hey @Djtnut,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community. We're happy to help!

As a first step, we recommend running a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps. This can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

Also, make sure that your iPhone's OS is up to date.

If the issue persists, we'd like to know if it also happens when using a WiFi network.

Lastly, can you let us know if it crashes randomly, or if it happens after a specific action (e.g. turn the volume up/down, change the song, navigate through a certain section of the app, etc.)? This will help us further investigate.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Petergibson23
Casual Listener

I’m the same. Using the Spotify feature to stream music from watch and AirPods in. Today and yesterday and many times before this the watch crashes completely which has interfered with my run. The watch reboots and says that it’s 10% power then cuts out again however rebooting again the watch is back to 70%+ battery.

my hunch is that when the Apple Watch loses signal when I’m running certain segments the app uses all the watches power when trying t get a signal then it crashes. Would love a fix to this issue as it’s very frustrating. 

Novy

Hey @Petergibson23

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this 🙂

Would you mind letting us know if you've already performed any of the steps that were previously suggested by @CarlosE?

Keep in mind that a clean reinstall can be helpful for clearing any corrupted files that might be causing this behavior.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

NovyModerator

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Djtnut
Casual Listener
I did a clean reinstall of Spotify from the instructions posted in this
thread and that seemed to help alleviate these crashing issues.

Novy

Hi @Djtnut

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We're happy to know that everything is working now.

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us.

Have a lovely day 🙂

NovyModerator

Petergibson23
Casual Listener
Hi, yes I tried that but it still isn’t working. It keeps crashing no after around 3 miles

CarlosE

Hi there @Petergibson23,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Could you let us know if this also happens when using a different connection?

If possible, could you try using a different account, like a friend's or relative's, and let us know if that makes any difference? This would help us determine if this is account-related.

Also, make sure that there aren't any pending updates on your phone and watch.

We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Petergibson23
Casual Listener

Hi, yes the same happens with another account but still on my phone. I’m speaking to Apple about the issue as well as it happens every time I run and stream music - very annoying !

Novy

Hey @Petergibson23

Thanks for getting back to us.

Just to confirm, have you made sure that both devices are up to date?

Also, let us know your phone's model, exact OS version and Spotify version so we can take a better look.

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator

SUGGESTED POSTS