Apple Watch offline usage?

Highlighted

Apple Watch offline usage?

Visitor

My Question or Issue

i have recently purchased an Apple Watch, will there be an update that allows me to use Spotify on there without taking my phone out with me? It is very inconvenient when exercising? 

I have seen similar posts to this all over a year ago with very limited answer which have really been avoiding the question... so Spotify do you have an answer for this? 

The technology must already be there as other music apps are able to implement this feature...

68 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Apple Watch offline usage?

Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23

Hey @bi3wn9r2f84h8zy, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Apple Watch will need the iPhone near it since the iPhone will need to be paired with your Apple Watch with Bluetooth. If you're away from your iPhone, you won't be able to use Spotify on your watch until you get near it again. If this is a feature you would like to see in the future, you can always create a new Idea here

There is more info about Apple Watch here

I hope this helps!

Billy-JRock Star 23
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Spotify announced in 2018 that they were working on an offline mode for the Spotify Apple Watch app that should allow listening when not connected to iPhone but there has not been any announcements on when this will be coming out.

2018 (SEP)
Apple finally allows enhanced functionality for the Spotify app on the Apple Watch

With Watch OS 5, Apple allowed the Spotify team to start developing offline functionality

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

At the moment, and as far as I know, only Apple Music app allows doing this... 😞 pitty that Spotify won’t work on this issue, as many people have been asking for it...  I’m considering switching to AM because of this. 

Highlighted

Composer
„New idea“....
Yes....very very very new...

This answer is a shame.

You all know that is a main discussion for millions of users.
Highlighted

Casual Listener

Vote with your pocket, should be more effective.

I’ve had enough of waiting. Apple, take my money. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Pandora's latest app for the watch allows for offline playback. If dinky Pandora can do it there aren't many excuses for why Spotify can't.

I mountain bike extensively in areas with no cell reception and it's annoying to take my bulky phone with me on rides. 

Would like this functionality but not holding my breath. Either Spotify is incompetent (can't make app, app won't get approved, stupid licensing situation, etc.) or they don't care. Personally I think the latter more likely.

Highlighted

Visitor

I think this is more about a "politicking" between Apple and Spotify, as Spotify is the biggest competitor against AM so far. I think Apple can dictate whether Spotify app on Apple Watch can have the offline mode or not, as there is an approval process before the app is placed in store. Actually, it works. This is the only reason I use AM. Otherwise is much more worse than Spotify and there is no reason to use it. Please don't say that this is a technical issue, as I've had Samsung Galaxy Watch Active previously and it gave me the option to download the music directly to the watch.

Highlighted

Regular

Spotify is lazy, I'm considering going to Apple Music (AM) or Pandora. 

I'm going to write to customer service and let them know that I will be planning to end my subscription with them if they dont change. Heck, make it a premium feature if they have to. Just do IT!

Highlighted

Regular
Everyone who reads these posts, PLEASE like them so that people know how much attention this should be getting.
SUGGESTED POSTS