Apple Watch offline usage?

Solved!

Apple Watch offline usage?

bi3wn9r2f84h8zy
Visitor

My Question or Issue

i have recently purchased an Apple Watch, will there be an update that allows me to use Spotify on there without taking my phone out with me? It is very inconvenient when exercising? 

I have seen similar posts to this all over a year ago with very limited answer which have really been avoiding the question... so Spotify do you have an answer for this? 

The technology must already be there as other music apps are able to implement this feature...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Good news!

Spotify now supports downloads on Apple Watch. This will be rolling out over the next several weeks.

Check out this Spotify news article for more info:

Enjoy More Ways Than Ever to Use Spotify on Your Apple Watch—Now With Downloads 

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

169 Replies

vojtechkozuch
Visitor

I think this is more about a "politicking" between Apple and Spotify, as Spotify is the biggest competitor against AM so far. I think Apple can dictate whether Spotify app on Apple Watch can have the offline mode or not, as there is an approval process before the app is placed in store. Actually, it works. This is the only reason I use AM. Otherwise is much more worse than Spotify and there is no reason to use it. Please don't say that this is a technical issue, as I've had Samsung Galaxy Watch Active previously and it gave me the option to download the music directly to the watch.

80-J
It’s surprising how few people understand that Apple is a monopoly that’s trying to squash Spotify and everybody else that gets in the way of his money machine… Spotify is being blocked by Apple

hassnick
Regular

Anyone thinking that the reason Spotify has no Apple Watch app yet is buying into Spotify propaganda. There is literally nothing stopping them! Do your research folks and don’t blame Apple. 100%, the ball is in Spotify’s court and they are failing to deliver, there is no alternative truth to this situation. Spotify are not the only competitors with Apple’s various media streaming services, yet Pandora and TuneIn both have streaming apps on Apple Watch and have had these for years... the functionality for 3rd parties has been there for years. Seriously guys, don’t defend Spotify cause they sure as **bleep** don’t care about you. 

voip-ninja
Regular
It's surprising you think people are so stupid as to take your complete speculation as fact.

gabeebees
Casual Listener
it definitely is politics. it's not a tech issue, they're getting red tape from Apple so it's not really Spotify's fault. Of course Apple Music will work on other devices that ain't apple because they want more money in their pockets but won't do the same thing when it's other apps for their devices.

hassnick
Regular

Sorry guys, that’s simply not the case... 3 years ago it was, but not now. All of the developer resources are there ready to be used exactly how Apple intends them to be, so I highly doubt there is any ‘red tape’ from Apple. It’s honestly more likely that Spotify signed an exclusivity contract like what was mentioned in an earlier post.

whatever it is though, it is years too late to blame Apple for it. 

voip-ninja
Regular

@gabeebees you are presenting your opinion as a fact. It’s not “known” that this is Apple’s fault.  Apple have provided the ability for this functionality to work. 

Didorx
Casual Listener

Vote with your pocket, should be more effective.

I’ve had enough of waiting. Apple, take my money. 

vachesco

At the moment, and as far as I know, only Apple Music app allows doing this... 😞 pitty that Spotify won’t work on this issue, as many people have been asking for it...  I’m considering switching to AM because of this. 

Casual Listener
Now other competitors also have offline for the AW. Please implement this

DesignByAdrian
Gig Goer

Actually, not only Apple Music. Other music providers have this functionality. But not Spotify.

gabeebees
Casual Listener

it would be best to leave feedback on Apple's end as well since they're the ones that choose which apps will be prioritized to work on their devices. So of course they'll allow Apple music to work as that's their own app matching their device. 

they cause so many developers to change their apps to fit whatever will work for their AppStore. like a painting app i use, i already paid for a lifetime purchase on PC but will be required to pay monthly if i ever choose to buy an iPad. i don't think the developers of the painting app are to blame there -- it's most likely the AppStore giving them so much red tape before they could even launch on Apple devices is to blame imo. lol

fabiobaida
Music Fan

This is exclusively Spotify incompetence or lack of interest. It is not the only Apple Music that has offline music for Apple Watch. Pandora and Overcast play offline music in the Apple Watch.

hassnick
Regular

The embarrassing thing for Spotify is, they are so incompetent and ignorant that they continue to blame Apple for not allowing them to build this functionality in their AW app. Yet, Pandora and other streaming services had working apps back in Q4 2018 (which is the year that Apple gave third party developers everything they needed through SDKs to do something like store music offline locally on the watch and play it directly from said watch). Spotify are too busy being a sook over in EU courts claiming Apple shouldn’t be entitled to any benefits for building a platform that connected Spotify with more customers.... what a joke! It’s clear where their priorities lie, and it’s not with artists or their customers, only their bottom line!

youcatscatz
Casual Listener

Allow me to add my voice to the growing chorus of users — please, for the love of god, Spotify, make this feature happen. It seems like it's possible, and many people are clamoring for it...one of the major use-cases of Spotify is for workouts, and for running especially, it can be unwieldy to carry your phone around, since pockets are shallow, and phones are increasingly large. The arm bands that you get on Amazon are unsightly, and my arm quickly overheats with it on.

Thus, the Apple Watch is the perfect solution for music on runs—tiny, sits on your wrist, doesn't get in the way. It's the perfect setup, except--the streaming service I rely on for all my music hasn't implemented offline downloads. The company has slacked off on a feature, the lack of which has driven a small, but significant portion of the user base away from Spotify. 

fabiobaida
Music Fan
I think there something related with a deal they made with Samsung. The Damsung Watch is the only offering this feature. That is my guess.

hassnick
Regular

It would be sad indeed if Spotify has signed away the satisfaction of a portion of its customers. Still, the more you read into Spotify I think the more upset you’ll become with them. For example, see this article on 9to5Mac where Spotify CEO makes it sound like Apple is only just “opening up” to Spotify when in reality Spotify has had years to do what they’re complaining they can’t do. https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/05/spotify-apple-open-up/

Seriously, I’d urge anyone reading this to take this as an opportunity. There are so many other well built streaming services out there you should try, all of which support artists far better than Spotify does. Spotify’s payouts to artists are on average the lowest in the music streaming market. Artists are struggling in this uncertain time and Spotify still doesn’t give them the pay they deserve. Please everyone, look for other platforms which prioritise you and the people who make your music – Spotify does neither.

hikerspath
Casual Listener

Au contraire,  Pandora's Music app downloads music on the watch and has for more than a year.  I know this because it is why I switched.  I WOULD switch back to Spotify but for this single feature.

MiaMalice
Regular

I’ve had to sign up to AM because of this lack of functionality for Apple Watch.  Keeping all my playlists in sync between the two.. I won’t go on paying for both for very long though.. and AM will get my money unless Spotify get their act together and implement support for Apple Watch offline.  I want to stay with Spotify, I have a lot of brand loyalty but I need this functionality, it’s the main reason I bought an Apple Watch, to be able to stream music without my phone. 

hucsires
Visitor
Same situation...

voip-ninja
Regular

Pandora's latest app for the watch allows for offline playback. If dinky Pandora can do it there aren't many excuses for why Spotify can't.

I mountain bike extensively in areas with no cell reception and it's annoying to take my bulky phone with me on rides. 

Would like this functionality but not holding my breath. Either Spotify is incompetent (can't make app, app won't get approved, stupid licensing situation, etc.) or they don't care. Personally I think the latter more likely.

SUGGESTED POSTS