Apple Watch offline usage?

Highlighted

Re: Apple Watch offline usage?

Casual Listener

I’ve had to sign up to AM because of this lack of functionality for Apple Watch.  Keeping all my playlists in sync between the two.. I won’t go on paying for both for very long though.. and AM will get my money unless Spotify get their act together and implement support for Apple Watch offline.  I want to stay with Spotify, I have a lot of brand loyalty but I need this functionality, it’s the main reason I bought an Apple Watch, to be able to stream music without my phone. 

Highlighted

Visitor

Yeah, I just bought an Apple Watch to go running without my phone. I didn't realize that you couldn't download playlists beforehand for offline listening similar to how you do on your phone. It's such a shame that this feature doesn't exist. 

I guess I will be switching to Apple Music. 

ALSO: sidenote - I tried liking all of the comments in this thread, and it wouldn't let me due to some error. So the numbers of likes are highly under-represented I am certain. THANKS SPOTIFY!

Highlighted

Seems like I also have to switch to AM for the time being. Hopefully Spotify adds this feature soon. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I wondered why Spotify wasn't working on cellular mode and thought i was doing something wrong. So after reading all of the comments, I guess I will be also signing up with AM. What a bummer. I was so excited to get my watch and be able to listen to my songs without having to carry my phone.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

This is exclusively Spotify incompetence or lack of interest. It is not the only Apple Music that has offline music for Apple Watch. Pandora and Overcast play offline music in the Apple Watch.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

The embarrassing thing for Spotify is, they are so incompetent and ignorant that they continue to blame Apple for not allowing them to build this functionality in their AW app. Yet, Pandora and other streaming services had working apps back in Q4 2018 (which is the year that Apple gave third party developers everything they needed through SDKs to do something like store music offline locally on the watch and play it directly from said watch). Spotify are too busy being a sook over in EU courts claiming Apple shouldn’t be entitled to any benefits for building a platform that connected Spotify with more customers.... what a joke! It’s clear where their priorities lie, and it’s not with artists or their customers, only their bottom line!

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Allow me to add my voice to the growing chorus of users — please, for the love of god, Spotify, make this feature happen. It seems like it's possible, and many people are clamoring for it...one of the major use-cases of Spotify is for workouts, and for running especially, it can be unwieldy to carry your phone around, since pockets are shallow, and phones are increasingly large. The arm bands that you get on Amazon are unsightly, and my arm quickly overheats with it on.

Thus, the Apple Watch is the perfect solution for music on runs—tiny, sits on your wrist, doesn't get in the way. It's the perfect setup, except--the streaming service I rely on for all my music hasn't implemented offline downloads. The company has slacked off on a feature, the lack of which has driven a small, but significant portion of the user base away from Spotify. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener
I think there something related with a deal they made with Samsung. The Damsung Watch is the only offering this feature. That is my guess.
Highlighted

Casual Listener

It would be sad indeed if Spotify has signed away the satisfaction of a portion of its customers. Still, the more you read into Spotify I think the more upset you’ll become with them. For example, see this article on 9to5Mac where Spotify CEO makes it sound like Apple is only just “opening up” to Spotify when in reality Spotify has had years to do what they’re complaining they can’t do. https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/05/spotify-apple-open-up/

Seriously, I’d urge anyone reading this to take this as an opportunity. There are so many other well built streaming services out there you should try, all of which support artists far better than Spotify does. Spotify’s payouts to artists are on average the lowest in the music streaming market. Artists are struggling in this uncertain time and Spotify still doesn’t give them the pay they deserve. Please everyone, look for other platforms which prioritise you and the people who make your music – Spotify does neither.

SUGGESTED POSTS