Announcements

Apple Watch offline usage?

Re: Apple Watch offline usage?

Casual Listener

Does Joe Rogan exclusively on Spotify mean I can’t listen to his podcast offline via my Apple Watch after the end of the year? I use Overcast, not Apple Podcasts, but I’m guessing that won’t matter. If they’re going to do this, you think they’d make their option have the one thing everyone has been asking for since the app came out...

Casual Listener

I’ve noticed that a lot of the speculation about this issue focuses on whether this is a Spotify issue or an Apple issue but there is a very real possibility that Spotify signed some type of agreement with another big player like Samsung that contractually bars them from launching a standalone Apple Watch app. I always say that when something doesn’t make any sense, follow the money and typically when there is ZERO communication around future plans about a common sense feature, it’s because of some contractual prohibition. I could very easily imagine a scenario in which Spotify anticipated Apple making Apple Music offline and streaming support exclusive to the Apple Watch (which was true up until last year) and they tried to get ahead of it by signing away their future for the next 5 or so years to a player like Samsung which would allow them to make an app for their wearables and any other wearable manufacturer other than the most popular wearable and their primary competitor (the Apple Watch). When Apple Music launched in 2016 this would have been a pretty smart gamble considering they wouldn’t even have the possibility of launching a standalone Apple Watch experience until 3 years later. Now it’s just a matter of waiting until the lock out agreement ends which I should hope would be around 2021 if this is in fact a 5 year contract. This is not based on any insider knowledge and I could very well be wrong, it’s just my two cents. 

Visitor

Apple watch don't need iPhone when you doing exercise like running. And Spotify should too. Who want to bring your iPhone when doing exercise? This makes me to consider moving to apple music. 

Visitor

The theory that Spotify signed an exclusive deal with Samsung has no merit. You can download Spotify songs on Garmin devices and Fitbit devices as well as Samsung watches. So there isn't some secret agreement with Samsung. Apple Watches seem to be the ONLY device that won't allow Spotify songs to be downloaded for offline listening.

So, who do is playing hardball? Spotify or Apple? Based on the above it looks like Apple.

Casual Listener

I was saying that they could have an agreement with a major player (like Samsung) which specifically precludes the development of a standalone app for that Apple Watch, not exclusivity agreement with Samsung preventing them for developing a standalone app for companies other than Apple. This means they could develop a standalone watch app for other platforms like Garmin and Fitbit that aren’t as large or a direct competitor to Samsung’s business model. I’ve seen contracts like this in real estate where a retailer conditions the signing of a lease based on the specific prohibition of leasing space out to a direct competitor in the same shopping center. Again just conjecture but, at this point, there are not obvious technical, technological, or motivational issues I can identify at Spotify or Apple that would prevent them from coming out with such an app at this point in time. 

It’s surprising how few people understand that Apple is a monopoly that’s trying to squash Spotify and everybody else that gets in the way of his money machine… Spotify is being blocked by Apple

Regular
It's surprising you think people are so stupid as to take your complete speculation as fact.

Visitor
"If this is a feature you would like to see in the future, you can always create a new Idea here."

Ok, this is a silly response. This is not a "new idea". It's common knowledge that Spotify started developing an offline feature for the Apple Watch in 2018. It's been 2 years. Where is our offline mode? (https://www.timetoplayfair.com/timeline/)

Regular

Anyone thinking that the reason Spotify has no Apple Watch app yet is buying into Spotify propaganda. There is literally nothing stopping them! Do your research folks and don’t blame Apple. 100%, the ball is in Spotify’s court and they are failing to deliver, there is no alternative truth to this situation. Spotify are not the only competitors with Apple’s various media streaming services, yet Pandora and TuneIn both have streaming apps on Apple Watch and have had these for years... the functionality for 3rd parties has been there for years. Seriously guys, don’t defend Spotify cause they sure as **bleep** don’t care about you. 

Regular
honestly with everyone guessing as to why this hasn't happened yet, this is the only answer that makes sense. I really hope it was a 5 year deal and nothing more
SUGGESTED POSTS