Apple Watch pauses my music when it is bumped

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 8, Apple Watch series 5, Airpods

My Question or Issue

I started having this issue a few weeks ago where anytime I would touch or bump my watch, wearing it or not, while listening to Spotify, it would disconnect from my AirPods. I have updated my iPhone and my Apple Watch to the latest software updates, uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify on my Apple Watch and rebooted my Apple Watch as well. Nothing seems to fix this issue. 

24 Replies

Same!! Spotify needs to fix this issue

Hey folks,

Can you let us know the make, model and OS version of your devices, as well as the Spotify version you're running.

Also, when did this start happening.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

IPhone X (NQCN2LL/A) iOS 14.5

Apple Watch SE version 7.4 (18T195)

Airpods Pro (A2084) Version 3E751

Spotify Version 8.6.20.1146

It started since Apple allowed users to open their iPhone with their Apple Watch while having masks on.

hope this helps. 
thanks to your team.

jun

Hi folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Can you let us know what happens if you try to un-pair the Airpods from the phone and connect again. It might also be a good idea to check if the same issue occurs if you are using different streaming app.

@korjsa, We'd recommend you also try to run a clean reinstall of your Spotify apps following this device specific guide, to make sure you're running the latest app versions and that there is no old app cache which might be causing issues.

We'll be looking forward to your replies.

AlexModerator

I’ve had similar issues, anytime I connect to my Bluetooth devices (car/speaker) the music plays for several Devi da then stops and I have to exit the app completely for it to work again.
I have also been having this issue when trying to skip songs too.

Hey there @Kiki135

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

Could you let us know the steps to replicate this?

Also, have you already tried reinstalling the app on your watch?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

My phone is an iPhone 8 Plus on iOS 14.5. My Apple Watch is a series 5 on OS 7.4. There is no OS that I can see for my AirPods. Spotify is version 8.6.22.1228

I tried unpairing my watch and my AirPods, uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, and powering things off and back on. Still the issue persists. It does not have this issue when I am playing Apple Music or youtube. 

Hi @allielaw15,

Thanks for getting back to us and apologies for the delayed reply.

We were checking some things with the teams backstage.

There's been a newer Spotify version rolled out in the meantime, could you update your devices and check if this issue is still present.

Could you also let us know if you're using your watch as a remote, while streaming on your phone and does the music continue playing on the phone, and just disconnect the earphones or everything pauses.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

I have updated Spotify to the latest update that was rolled out and the issue has continued. When I use my watch as a remote, the music pauses and my AirPods disconnect, even when I am just adjusting the volume from my watch. Thank you for your help!

Hi there @allielaw15

Thanks for getting back in touch and letting us know that. 

Would you mind trying to turn the Bluetooth off and on again in the watch settings to check if that makes any difference?

Keep us posted 🙂 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi, I have been experiencing the same issue - except it also happens whenever I receive any notification on my apple watch. Whenever I get a text or IG notification, my music pauses, and pressing play on the phone will resume playback from the phone's speaker, not my airpods. This also happens when I summon Siri on my watch, but not on my phone. When I try to switch back to airpods through the Spotify interface or iphone interface, the change is rejected. The option to switch to airpods with battery level is displayed, but when it is tapped, it bounces back / reverts the click. 

None of these issues occur when I am using Audible, or Youtube - on the same devices - only when using Spotify.

I have started experiencing this about 1 week ago. During this time I actually received a replacement phone of the exact same model (unrelated damaged phone insurance claim). I experienced the issue on my old phone. I activated the new phone, and had to wipe my apple watch completely clean and pair it as a new watch to my new phone. The new phone and new watch installation experience the same issue. The phone was restored from the old phone via apple activation process, the watch was wiped and added as a new fresh watch install, not from any backup.

I have also attempted disabling bluetooth on the watch, as well as unpairing my airpods form the watch, neither of which changed the issue.

Old and new phone are iPhone 12 Pro iOS ver 14.5.1

Watch is Apple Watch 5 GPS+Cellular Model A2095 Software ver 7.5 (18T567)

Spotify premium ver 8.6.30.968

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out and for the troubleshooting done so far.

We've gathered your reports and delivered them to the right team, who will happily take a closer look. We'll keep you updated on any news on the matter here, as soon as there are any.

Thanks again for your cooperation. The Community is here for you if you have any questions. 

Mihail Moderator

Hi, just checking in here that I am still having this same issue happen. It has been happening for a few months. Yesterday, for the first time I tried disconnecting the bluetooth connection between my watch and my AirPods Pros, and that actually seemed to fix the issue, at least until my Apple Watch connected back to my AirPods and it started all over again. I've tried disconnecting my AirPods and re-connecting them (did it recently last month) to no avail. 

I have an iPhone X-R, AirPods Pro, and the Apple Watch Series 5 - 44mm.

apple watch series 3, airpods gen 2, iphone 12 pro max

Still having this issue, any resolution?

Has anything happened?

This is seriously annoying and has been happening for months.

I am a premium customer and have been for years.

Can we get some real help please????

Every time I get a notification on my watch, it switches the audio to my watch on my airpods and I get notification sounds on my airpods. But my music switches to my phone, and pauses, then plays from the phone speaker when play is pressed.

this only happens when using spotify, no other apps.

This does not happen when using my bluetooth speaker and spotify.

I'm having the same issue. I have the latest Apple Watch with the most current version of watchOS and iOS on my iPhone. I'm contemplating solely using Apple Music until this can be fixed. I'm only having this issue in Spotify.

Suggested posts