Premium

Country

Germany

Device

iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3

Operating System

watchOS4 - future: watchOS 5

My Question or Issue

I'd like to ask about anyone knows about spotify having any plans on developing a third-party app for apple watch users to stream spotify with cellular function or to download tracks via spotify for the clock itself without using a phone. (e.g. at jogging without taking the phone with you) Apple enables third-party access at upcoming watchOS 5, which was the reason behind not having a spotify watch app before.

46 Replies

Re: Apple Watch support with watchOS 5?

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @CekuaH, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

I don't know if Spotify has plans to create an app for the Apple Watch in the future but for now it's not available. I haven't heard any rumors either from tech sites about this.

However, I’d suggest starting a new thread in the Community Ideas Exchange.

This’ll allow users, Stars, and Moderators to vote and comment on it.

Have a great day! :)

LoxerRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Mîkî
Casual Listener

Actually there is/was someone working on it.

https://www.reddit.com/user/typealias

Dude created an unofficial app, but was asked to hold it back and has since then worked for Spotify to create an official app.

He also was the one, who fixed locked screen scribbling a few months ago, so my hopes aren't destroyed yet

shooflyshoo

I’m seriously considering canceling Spotify for Apple Music for this very reason.   Seems like a no brainer to support the Apple Watch. 

Calibrae
Roadie

Been there, done that, for the exact same reason. 

And once my free trial ended, I switched back to Spotify. And too bad for the watch and tv.

Apple music keeps pushing artists you don’t care about, selection is very limited compared to Spotify, and well, I’ve been on Spotify for a long time, its machine learning knows me better than I do sometimes.

wetmouthsounds
Casual Listener

+1

Im giving Spotify another month.  If by then I don't at least hear a credible rumor that the Watch app on the way, I'm shifting my family plan to Apple Music.  None of us have a ridiculous amount of playlists to migrate, and we don't really care about how well it recommends new music.  Its not really an issue.

I am in the same boat with Stitcher at this point.  I dont want to move to Apple  podcasts but I will if they don't offer a Watch app soon.  Just moved my To-do list app away from Wunderlist because they will not be creating an app for Apple Watch since being bought out by Microsoft.   I hope these companies realize that Apple Watch 4 is going to create a lot of Apple Watch users.  The thing is awesome.

dbrewy

If Spotify doesn’t become compatible with my Apple Watch, then I won’t be buying anymore Apple products in the future. I don’t like to be strong-armed into switching music streamers. 

Highlighted

wetmouthsounds
Casual Listener

Was there an announcement that Apple was blocking Spotify from creating a Watch app?  If so, that is ridiculous, and by all means we should boycott all current and future apple products.  I just don’t remember seeing that news from either Apple or Spotify.  Not sure anyone is being strong-armed just yet.  More like one company dragging their feet.

BenHott
Casual Listener

This is getting really rediculous. Spotify now made offline playback available on the garmin forerunner 645 but still doesn't give out any statement if or when they'll support the apple watch. Why is it so difficult for them to just say that they are working on it?

bldowning
Casual Listener

Spotify is compatible. Its on them to create the app but they are holding out or at the least dragging their heels with this one.

Hopefully this lag is simply due to creating a beautiful, effective apple watch client. Otherwise, i will probably switch to AM simply for my runs where i dont want to keep my phone on my person.

SUGGESTED POSTS