Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Are the Behind The Lyrics feature no longer available on the iPad?

Are the Behind The Lyrics feature no longer available on the iPad?

Last night, I tweeted to Spotify Cares on twitter asking them why the Behind The Lyrics feature is no longer shown on the iPad, and today they tweeted back to me saying that i’s currently no on the iPad! How can it not be on the iPad now when it was there before? Is it really true the BTL feature is no longer on the iPad, and if so why? Please somebody from the Spotify team give me answers! I tried emailing you guys, but I have no answer yet! 

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

IPad 

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

5 Replies

I am a Spotify Alpha tester for Spotify on iOS (I use an iPod Touch 6th Gen) and for the past few updates, some of the songs that had Behind the Lyrics... had their Behind the Lyrics functionality removed. I believe this plague will continue in the coming days until it is all removed.

My thoughts are that Genius`s time with Spotify is slowly drying up and coming to an end now that they have a deal with Apple Music which makes Genius the lyrics provider for Apple Music (No behind the lyrics yet, but fingers crossed for iOS 13) and that deal also allows Genius to use Apple Music as its provider for music when browsing the lyrics page of a song. 

I doubt reverting the Spotify Beta to an earlier version (Testflight - Spotify - Previous Builds) would work, so say goodbye to behind the lyrics. 

According to this article from six months ago, Genius isn’t going to shun its partnership with Spotify, and BTL playlists are still on Spotify, and BTL info is still on Spotify’s website! https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/10/11/latest-genius-apple-music-spotify-deal/

@ChrisB1983 wrote:

According to this article from six months ago, Genius isn’t going to shun its partnership with Spotify, and BTL playlists are still on Spotify, and BTL info is still on Spotify’s website! https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/10/11/latest-genius-apple-music-spotify-deal/

If that is the case, which seems most likely then BTL could probably be temporarily disabled for a certain amount of time in a certain device for maintenance and improving its functionality. It usually happens once in a while.

So, was it there before on the iPad? 

I`ve never seen Behind the Lyrics drastically dissapear in the nearly 3 years I`ve used Spotify for iOS though, and if it was a test, it should not last this long.

Suggested posts