Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Asked to log in everytime if I use my SD card for storage

Asked to log in everytime if I use my SD card for storage

I would like to keep my Spotify music on the external SD card. It will move it, but every time I open the app I am prompted to log in. If I change it back to internal it works fine. I need it to work on the SD card. I have a Moto X Pure with Marshmallow and I gave Spotify permissions to storage. Also, "Google Now" wont let me set Spotify as default player.
1 Reply

Hi @Dotchris6,

Please try these steps (quoted from a Motorola user):

0) uninstall spotify (just to make sure you start fresh)
1) install spotify
2) launch spotify but do not log in. Go to Settings → Apps → Spotify and Force Stop
3) [Requires Root] Use a file manager (e.g ES File Explorer) to navigate to /data/data/com.spotify.music/shared_prefs/
4) [Requires Root] Edit the file "spotify_preferences.xml" → towards the end, got to :
<string name="cache_location_v4">/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music/files/spotifycache</string>
and change the path to point to the external SD instead. I just changed the emulated/0 part to the name of the directory where my external SD is mounted. In my case "/storage/ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music/files/spotifycache"
5) Start spotify. (optional: If you do not login, and switch back to the file manager and go to your SD Card/Android/com.spotify.music/ you will see that the directories where created).
6) Login, download a playlist (no need to switch to extreme quality).

Let me know it it works for you!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts