Regular

Plan

Premium

Device

iPhone Xs Max

Operating System

iOS 12

My Question or Issue

Received my Xs Max today and when I use Spotify to playback in my BMW i3 via bluetooth the quality is really bad, I guess it is a IOS12 issue.

It sounds like the music is very clear and then muffled and then clear again, and the quality sounds like a 128kbps track very noisy and not clear and bright like normal!

I have tried offline tracks and streaming but it doesn't change anything, also changing the settings to low and back to high does not fix the problem.

Hope you can resolve this issue in a soon to release update!

EDIT: With the Music app I have the same problem, also tested it with a iPhone SE and 6S with iOS 12 and that works fine. So the issue is with the Xs Max itself!

91 Replies

Re: Bad Bluetooth sound quality iOS 12

Hey @Mixpower,

Have you tried re-pairing the bluetooth connection? Also, does this happen if you try with an AUX cable, or just regular headphones? 

We suggest that you do a clean reinstall and see if that helps. 

Keep us updated :)

JemiModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Use the force, Harry" - Gandalf

DanteOne
Regular

That problem sounds like mine, I got an iPhone X with iOS 12 and a new Mercedes A-Class.

The sound over BT jumps between muffled and clear, but its not only Spotify but also any other music-apps like Apple Music or SoundCloud. So if its the same with the music app for you, I guess its some problem with our phones. The sound is perfect if I stream Spotify over the USB-cable to my car and the sound over the cars radio is also fine.

I still have to test another phone to sort out if its a problem with the iPhone or the BT connection but at least in my case im pretty sure its not Spotify.

Motard
Regular

I also have the same issue. iPhone 8, iOS 12. Streaming through Bluetooth to a BMW with iDrive. The audio quality cycles between nice and clear, and muffled. Doesn't matter if the songs are downloaded or not. It doesn't seem nearly as prevelent in the Apple (downloaded) music. 

DanteOne
Regular

Check cable connection and other apps like Podcasts or Youtube.

Mixpower
Regular

I now have my 3rd iPhone Xs Max (due to cosmetic issues) and it still has the same problem with Bluetooth, so it is clearly a software issue combined with the Bluetooth 5.0 . I hope Apple fixes this soon in a coming update, looking at all the reception issues I read about this may also be related with the antenna's.

Hey folks,

If reinstalling/re-pairing the bluetooth devices doesn't work, try with other services and see if the same thing happens. If it does, it's most likely something that has to be taken up with Apple. 

Keep us posted about this and we'll help as much as we can :)

JemiModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Use the force, Harry" - Gandalf
Highlighted

DanteOne
Regular

Reinstalling/re-pairing the bluetooth devices doesn't work. I have the same problem with soundcloud and apple music so I guess its not a spotify-problem.

Shuin

Same thing happens to me with my iPhone 8 iOS 12

but it might be due to bandwidth changes due to your 4G ? i have noticed that for crystal clear audio i have to have at 4 bars of reception or spotify will "downgrade" music quality to avoid pausing to do some buffering.

Mixpower
Regular

Nope, only happens with Spotify but also the Music app itself playing local music from the iPhone. It really is a problem with iOS12 combined with Bluetooth 5.0!

SUGGESTED POSTS