Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Big UX fail: no manageable way to remove songs from a playlist with several hundred songs in it

Big UX fail: no manageable way to remove songs from a playlist with several hundred songs in it

I almost never rate apps. However I got so frustrated with spotify and it’s company’s unwillingness and / or incapability to address simple but obvious UX flaws in it’s app, that I am left with no other means to voice my frustration than to give the app in the App store the worst rating there is...hopefully this will get the necessary attention and somebody over there will get fixing those flaws: so I have this big playlist (starred) with several hundred songs in it for which I have activated the offline mode since I travel a lot and often don’t have reliable internet connection. It’s quite easy to add songs to a playlist, that’s fine. but it’s equal impossible to remove them from a playlist unless you have very few songs in it. In the iOS App you can search for a sont in your playlist, but then there is no menu to remove it from the playlist (not remove from “your music” which is not the same). On the other hand you can edit your playlist via the “…” link, but then, in that mode, you can’t search for the song you want to remove anymore and when you have several hundred songs in that playlist it’s nearly impossible to find it through scrolling. Similar big flaw in the Mac OS X and Windows PC App, where there ain’t no search function any more (I think there was one earlier on) to search in your playlist. This is such an obvious UX flaw (if you have the ability to add something you should have the ability to remove it) and yet it has stayed like that for months so far. I don’t get it.

2 Replies

Welcome to the Spotify Community!

This irritates me too.

I suggested an idea that could solve this problem, check it out and give it a kudo if you agree:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Remove-Song-from-Playlist-in-Option-Menu-quot-quot-iOS/i...

The option to search playlists in the desktop app will be coming back in a future update. (currently no ETA)

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This is what I've been doing to get around this:
1) Search for the song you want to delete in the playlist.
2) Start playing the song.
3) Get out of the search and view the whole playlist again.
4) Scroll really quickly through the playlist and look for a song title that's highlighted green (since it's playing).
5) Edit the playlist and delete it!
Obviously not ideal, but it works.

Suggested posts