Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Block Spotify data usage on cellular while maintaining functionality on wifi

Block Spotify data usage on cellular while maintaining functionality on wifi

I'm hoping someone can tell me if there's a way to prevent spotify from using any of my data on Android while maintaining all functionality via wifi, without having to switch between modes every time I change from wifi to cellular and vice-versa

What I've tried:

1. Offline Mode - You'd have to switch it on and off between cellular and wifi, this is too inconvenient for something that should be automated, therefore this is not an acceptable answer.

2. Restrict Background Data on Android - Spotify somehow manages to use background data? This didn't work for me...

I'm paying $10/gb on Google Fi, and Spotify used about 2.5 GB last month. I keep my whole song library downloaded via wifi (I don't download new songs over cellular data). I don't listen to songs that I haven't downloaded. Spotify is still costing me an extra $25 per month so other services would be much cheaper for me.

Is there a way to prevent Spotify from using any data over a cellular network while still enabling normal functionality under wifi? I will likely have to find a service that can do this, even a more expensive one due to simple economics, and it would be a shame to have to leave Spotify 😞 

1 Reply

I'm following up to see if anyone has found a workaround for this, or if Spotify has addressed this issue. I reinstalled and Spotify only used 185 MB background data this month, which is much better, but still almost 20% of the cost of the service at $10/month for Spotify and $10/gb for Google Fi. Can someone at least explain why Spotify would need to use *this much* data when my entire library is downloaded onto my phone and I'm not listening to any non-downloaded music, mobile download is not permitted, and I have background data off on my phone for Spotify?

Suggested posts