Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cache growing, even though no offline playlists

Solved!

Cache growing, even though no offline playlists

I've got an iPad 4, iOs 6.1.2, where I recently installed Spotify 0.6.0.181. Since space is very limited, but my employer gives me free 4g connection for my iPad, I don't want or need offline playlists. My problem is that in less than a week the Spotify cache has grown with 1GB. I mainly listen to Spotify radio based on my existing playlists. Is uninstall, reinstall the only option here? 

(I know that there are threads on similar issues, but since they are mixed 5.0, 5.1, 6.0 and 6.1, with some using offline and some not, I wanted to make this specifically about 6.1.2 with no offline music. )

☆✩✪ Want to help out? Become a Spotify Rock Star today! ✪✩☆
Jag svarar på svenska via pm eller via twitter

Binaural track - listen with headphones with good volume!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

As far as I am aware, this is normal behaviour of the Spotify application. 

The application will temporarily store or "cache" tracks which you listen to frequently or recently, in order to save on bandwidth. There is no way in the current application to clear the cache without reinstalling the application (that I am aware off).

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

That's very strange, I've never heard of that occurring.

Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

As far as I am aware, this is normal behaviour of the Spotify application. 

The application will temporarily store or "cache" tracks which you listen to frequently or recently, in order to save on bandwidth. There is no way in the current application to clear the cache without reinstalling the application (that I am aware off).

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Since after my first post I got a few other problems with the iPad, I did a complete reset and reinstalled everything. Well, the problem is still there, 943MB at last count... something is really strange with the cache. It's really not about the amount of data being downloaded and/or uploaded - it's about the cache eating away from availiable space.

I've read in a few other threads that cache on iOs is supposed to empty itself when space is needed for other apps. Yeah, that's true in general, but unfortunately there are instanses when there are cache priority issues, which will deem the priority of the spotify cache more important than the cache needed for my work (photo editing) apps, resulting in those apps reporting lack of space.

Since this seems to be a problem only for those of us with specific needs, I suppose I'll have to accept facts as they are. I can always use my android based phone to listen to spotify... 🙂 all I hoped for was that someone would be able to come up with a solution for the iPad.

Add your comments to the main thread about this here, and maybe some day they will fix this ridiculous issue.

@tjb wrote:

Add your comments to the main thread about this here, and maybe some day they will fix this ridiculous issue.

Thankyou for your suggestion. The thing is that the thread you refere to was started when ios 5.x was still the norm. On my ipad with 5.1.1 I don't get this behaviour, but rather the intended "cache emptied by ios". But that iPad is a wifi only.

Another problem here is that in order for the cache to be able to empty, the app (in this case spotify) has to be completely closed when another app requests the space reserved by spotify. It is this behaviour that doesn't seem to function on my ipad 4 with 6.1.2, but it works splendidly on my ipad 3. 

However, I've added my kudos to the relevant posts in the other thread. Hope for a quick solution.

Suggested posts