Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can I "multitask" with Spotify on iPad whilst browsing web..?

Solved!

Can I "multitask" with Spotify on iPad whilst browsing web..?

Hi all, 
         I'm wanting to get the new iPad, but from what I know of iPads, they're not great for true "multitasking".

Can any iPad owners tell me please, can I listen to Spotify on the iPad, whilst doing other things such as browsing the net, or does Spotfiy close/pause, when I want to go on Safari?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice, Will  

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey willsssss!

Welcome to the Community!

The answer to your question is not a simple yes/no answer.  iPads certainly are capable of multitasking, assuming they are running a recent version of iOS.  If you are on an iPad2, or the new iPad, they are definitely capable of multitasking.  The issue you are describing is not a problem with multitasking, it is a problem with audio output.  When you launch certain applications that output audio (including Safari in some cases), any other music application is going to be paused, including the built in music application.  This is a limitation of iOS, and not a problem with Spotify.  Safari will do the same thing when browsing any website that outputs audio.  Hopefully this will give you some insight as to what is happening here.  I'm not sure if I've answered your question, but let me know if you need any further detail.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey willsssss!

Welcome to the Community!

The answer to your question is not a simple yes/no answer.  iPads certainly are capable of multitasking, assuming they are running a recent version of iOS.  If you are on an iPad2, or the new iPad, they are definitely capable of multitasking.  The issue you are describing is not a problem with multitasking, it is a problem with audio output.  When you launch certain applications that output audio (including Safari in some cases), any other music application is going to be paused, including the built in music application.  This is a limitation of iOS, and not a problem with Spotify.  Safari will do the same thing when browsing any website that outputs audio.  Hopefully this will give you some insight as to what is happening here.  I'm not sure if I've answered your question, but let me know if you need any further detail.

Hey Jvanderb, thanks and thanks too for your advice. That makes complete sense what you're saying, it's all about how the iOS outputs audio... hopefully that will get fixed someday.

Thanks again, Will

Suggested posts