Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can Playing songs that have been Synced Extreme drain more battery than High?

Can Playing songs that have been Synced Extreme drain more battery than High?

Spotify seems to really drain my iPhone 5s's battery. I have offline songs synced at Extreme. Would changing to High reduce battery usage signficantly? I could do this, but it would take a while and wanted to check if anyone else has this experience. Thanks.

6 Replies

I doubt it would make any noticeable difference. Decoding audio is not an intensive task, specially for a device like the iPhone 5S. It should be child's play to the A7 chip from the 5S.

I really don't know what could be causing this battery drain and I can't really compare to my phone, since it's a 3 year old 4S with a buggy battery which shuts down because of low charge at 30%...

Have you switched Offline mode on settings? This prevents the app from accessing the web if your data connection is active. Let me know if you find a way to fix the drain.

Hello @Toneman on top of @Rodrigo suggestion, you might want to check your location services under iPhone settings, because there are many apps that are closed but actually using your location in the background that caused the iPhone to heat up - so you might want to check on that too.

On top of that, you might want to double tap the home button and remove all of the other running applications to conserve your battery life.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Both,

I've been trying a few things. I've kept apps out of the background and when I use everything other than the Spotify app, the battery drain is slow and reasonable. I just commuted home and listened to Spotify for 30 minutes, and my battery drained about 10%.

Seems like only when I am using Spotify, this quick battery drain happens. I shouldn't have to switch it to offline mode to work. That should be part of normal usage.

Thanks,

Tony

When I'm streaming music (ie songs not on available offline), the battery does indeed drain really quick as it is downloading music while playing them..

If there are songs on available offline - which is playing from there, and if you switch to offline mode, it will definitely conserve more battery. There are many reports about battery problems in the much older version of Spotify (before version 1), but now it seems that it much fixed..
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Well, with my mini-experient today, I was playing songs that were download (i.e. synced) to my phone but still online. I would have thought that would not drain the battery as much as it did. Hmmm...

It should 'eat' lesser battery - but of course putting it in offline mode would be much better.
I'm here to shuffle!

Suggested posts