Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't connect to Sonos players in Spotify Connect

Can't connect to Sonos players in Spotify Connect

So I open up the Spotify app and I can see my sonos devices there waiting to be connected to. I click on them to connect and it says connecting, but then nothing.

This is the same on my iOS app.

They are clearly there but just won't connect.

Strangely when I go through the Sonos desktop app I can paly things from spotify there without problem.

Help!

169 Replies

Thanks for the tip! Reauthorizing Spotify inside the Sonos app fixed everything

Thanks for the tip. Reinstalling the Spotify app did the trick for me. At least for now. 😄

I've had the same problem as everyone else for the last couple weeks on my iOS phone.  I can play Spotify from inside the Sonos app, but couldn't use Spotify app to connect to Sonos.  When I tried to connect, it would try for 5 seconds, not connect and return to my phone.  Per other suggestions, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Spotify app, and also reauthorized Spotify from inside the Sonos app (Settings > My Services > Reauthorize Account).  Neither of these worked for me.

Finally, from inside Sonos, I deleted the Spotify service (Settings > My Services > Chose Spotify > Remove Account).  Then I went back and added Spotify service inside Sonos again and I can finally connect my Spotify to Sonos again (for now at least).  Good luck!

I have the same issue and it's incredibly frustrating. Works fine one minute, then simply won't connect an hour later. The Spotify app is updated, Spotify Connect shows up in the "devices available" but when I select it, nothing. The issue is persistent on both my laptop (mac) and iphone app. **bleep**?!?

Guys its very easy, go to sonos app than settings than my sonos account if you have a account, if you dont have a account than you need to make 1 than you can connect form spotify. 🙂

I Don't know if my problem is same, but i go to a song on my playlist and it on spotify connect or spotify web player and no issues now it stops around 9 seconds but other songs and these are the ones not in my playlists they work fine, I Don't understand why my songs won't work? Please Help?

I had the same problem and I went to the Sonos app and then to manage music services, next removed the Spotify account and finally just added it back again and it worked!

BrackoBruin suggestion made my day:

from inside Sonos, I deleted the Spotify service (Settings > My Services > Chose Spotify > Remove Account).  Then I went back and added Spotify service inside Sonos again and I can finally connect my Spotify to Sonos again (for now at least)."

I'm on iOS.

Make sure you have the latest version of Sonos installed - did the trick for me.

Spotify is basically horribly buggy when it comes to casting. Absolutely hopeless for a multi billion dollar company. They simply need to hire some decent developers and fix the issue. It's not hard. I thought it might be a Chromecast issue but it is just as buggy with Sonos. I've raised this before and my posts have been closed.

In the Sonos app go to settings and then my services. Remove Spotify account then re add Spotify account. Restart the Spotify app and that should do it! Worked for me

Tried this and worked for a while but then just happened again. Music pauses and then when I push play it just skips to the next song and pauses. Push play again and the skips to the next song and pauses.

I've been having this problem lately too.  I just did something and it worked, not sure if it was just coincidental though.  I was unable to connect to my sonos speakers from the spotify app on my macbook, so I made sure my sonos program was closed as there may have been some conflict.  Again, could have been coincidence, this problem has really been annoying me lately.  I had no problem with this until about a month ago and now my favorite way of listening to spotify is inconsistent at best.

After a weekend of back and forth with Sonos, my Spotify desktop app is finally able to see and connect to my Sonos speakers. Sonos recommended the following:

1. Power down my wireless router and all Sonos speakers. 
  2. Power up wireless router
  3. When router is up, power up Sonos speakers one at a time. Wait until each has a steady white light before powering the next

I did all this and Spotify could see the Sonos speakers, but couldn't yet connect to them. I'm not sure what happened that enabled the connection to be made (I also had to futz around with my Echo Dot, which also wouldn't connect to Spotify), but after approx 15 minutes, I could play Spotify through any of my Sonos speakers (I have four). 

Throughout all of this Sonos refused to acknowledge a problem on their side. I believe this is another temporary solution, but at least it's a solution.

Still having this problem?  My Spotify picks up the Sonos, but when I try to play songs from Spotify, the app freaks out (and doesn't play). Grr

Was listening, merrily, and suddenly the Spotify App stopped working. The speakers worked with the Sonos App, not the Spotify App. Usually when this happens (yes plural, it's been happening a lot this week) I unplug the speakers, replug them in and that seems to work. This time I had to go into the settings of my Sonos App, remove my Spoitfy account, then re-register my Spotify account (thank you forum for the tip). And even this didn't work right away. It took a few tries. Total time wasted just today: 50 minutes. Are you listening Sonos? Come on, get it together.

I too am experiencing the same issue.  The Sonos app can control music from Spotify but the Playlist/Artist/Song searching, sorting, and playing is considerably more limited. For example, I have a playlist with some 1200 songs (pretty much, everything I've ever liked within the Spotify app).  I have that playlist sorted in Spotify by "Recently Added" so I can hear my most recent favorites played first.  Unfortunately for us OCD types, the Sonos app does not reflect that same playlist in the same order.  Scrolling through 1199 songs to get to the most recently added song is not my favorite thing to do.

Lucky for us: Sonos & Spotify play nicely together... er not!  (God forbid you have a large iTunes library... Sonos randomization is awful - whole different subject).  I'm not sure who to blame here; Sonos or Spotify.  I've tried every suggestion in this thread and have had intermittent success.  What seems odd (to me), is, from within Spotify, I can tap the ellipse for the Sonos speaker and it will toggle me over the Sonos app where I can manipulate speaker groups. But it won't connect the "device" (the Sonos speaker) to pipe music?!  Odd.  Nice to know I'm not alone with this glitch.  Apple, Microsoft, Sonos, Spotify... too bad mediocrity is such a comfortable place.

Image.png
Image 2.png
Image 3.png

Replying to my own message with an update. Of course, the solution stopped working. I've futzed with this for hours over time and have used Sonos support. I'm worn out. I feel the pain of everyone else who has wasted their time on this one.

1. Sonos has a problem and they're now willing to own it. Tech support provides solutions that work for some period of time and then stop. Their solutions are akin to tech support saying, "reboot your computer." 
  2. In a market that has almost eclipsed Sonos with voice activation, for Sonos to ignore such an important integration makes me think they're throwing in the towel. 
  3. Although the Sonos products are technically sound, they're as good as their integrations. Since Sonos hasn't replicated the Spotify experience natively (and they shouldn't), it's doubly important that they make a good integration.

Yeah, there's no telling when it will work or not.  It connects but then stays stuck at the beginning of a track or starts skipping through songs w/o playing.

Spotify connect tells me that it cannot 'play this right now'.  However, Sonos can see and play my spotify play lists so there is connectivity between the two apps.  It's just Spotify connect that doesn't work.  I don't like using the Sonos app and want to use Spotify Connect.  So, I have tried the following:

*  I have re-installed the spotify app

* I have checked that the sonos speakers and laptop with the spotify app are on the same wireless network

* I have updated the sonos software.

* I have re-authorised my spotify account on sonos.

* I have unplugged and re-booted the sonos speaker.

* I have re-booted my laptop

I have spent/wasted a lot of time on this.  I can't find a Spotify customer help number.  Is there one?  

Thanks in advance.

Suggested posts