Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't connect to Sonos players in Spotify Connect

Can't connect to Sonos players in Spotify Connect

So I open up the Spotify app and I can see my sonos devices there waiting to be connected to. I click on them to connect and it says connecting, but then nothing.

This is the same on my iOS app.

They are clearly there but just won't connect.

Strangely when I go through the Sonos desktop app I can paly things from spotify there without problem.

Help!

169 Replies

You can't get it to work with the most recent Spotify version that they have released a week ago. That version broke Spotify Connect for Sonos. According to Sonos, Spotify is working on a fix and should release an update soon.
It's really sad how much Spotify customer support sucks.

My husband has everything updated and everything works perfectly fine for
him I don't understand how one person in the household is totally fine and
the other is not

As others have mentioned, uninstall Spotify app and use link from previous posts to install previous version of Spotify.  The issue is with the latest version of Spotify - fails to connect to Sonos.

Spotify customer service at its best.

Last weekend they messaged me
"Sorry, we don't have any specific info to share right now about where the issue is coming from. Don't worry, our best tech folks are on the case as we speak. Hopefully we'll have a fix soon!" ... "Everything should be back up and running again in no time!"

Just now, a week later (replying to my question about the fix) they replied 

"We can't give an exact timeframe yet, but rest assured that our developers are looking into this. We'll keep everyone updated."

Looks like they don't have a clue and don't care about paying customers.

It's complicated. Spotify Connect is a Spotify feature and from a user's perspective that's what's broken, and Spotify needs to fix it for their paying customers.

What the deal was between Spotify and Sonos it's not really our problem but both ends have a way to connect to the other.

On the other hand I agree with others that Sonos should improve their app to replicate more features from the Spotify app (especially the search feature)

I do not want to manage music through the Sonos app. If I subscribe to Spotify I want a Spotify app. The Sonos app should focus on setting up the speakers - that's it. But they want to pretend that they are the music app. They got their strategy all wrong....

The original application, be it Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, Deezer etc is always going to be more fully featured than any Sonos App, which is why Sonos enable these applications to work by providing a standard interface.

Sonos just want to flog kit - they don't make money with their app.

Spotify sell their app and access to a music catalgue.

The Spotify app is not working on Android (it is on iPhone) with Sonos.

Yes it is complicated - so don't mess with it and if you make sure you have suffcient automated regression testing when software is your business.

Same problem here. Spotify, I hope you are listening. This was such a cool feature, it's really a bummer that it got broken.

HERE IS A SOLUTION.

I tried a few options and was able to get it working, I also believe I know the reason for the break in the app. It looks like if you are running spotify on more than one device, example you have spotify on your laptop and also you phone. If at any point you pause or close the app on your phone and switch to your laptop and then later on try to switch back to playing from your phone it may cause the spofity to stop reconising your sonos from your phone because of a conflict with the app on your laptop.

The best way I found to fix this quick is:

1. Start spotify on your laptop 

2. Once the app is open on your laptop then also open spotify on your phone

3. Then from your laptop spotify select other devices you will now see an option for your phone. select your phone.

After these steps it passes control of your sonos speakers back to your phone. It will allow you to use it as normal on both devices. I think the issue may be a bug causes when running your spofity account on multiple devices. Im not sure if anyone is having the same issue and has spofity on only 1 device, if so leave a reply I can try to figure out a fix for you.

Hope this helps, cheers!

Seems more complicated than just loading the previous version which fixes it. 

I agree its a few more steps and alitte more complicated, but since I did the above I havent had any issues using the new version perfectly. 

Also I forgot to mention the issue happend to me when I was running the new version on my phone and the old version was still on my laptop, I have since updated to the current version. That might be the cause, I dont know for sure. 

Thanks Miguele,

When I selected the Sonos speakers in the laptop application, the phone application suddenly declared there were Sonos speakers to connect to.

So I did. And it works. This is very possibly temporary though.

Cheers,

CIv

Hi Miguel, that works for me. Thanks

Worked a treat. Thanks. That was really annoying

@Mcbernie wrote:

That worked for me too. Delete the Spotify app and install the previous version. Found that here: https://spotify.en.uptodown.com/android/download/1671480

Backdating the app works but lost some features like music quality in settings. I hope Spotify is taking note and can work on an update quickly.

Worked for me!!  Thanks Miguele.

Yes. Thanks Miguele. I'm running the Linux Spotify on my laptop. Logging out of that and back in fixed the issue - at least for now.

I was having same issue. Tried all the tricks... nothing worked.  Even passing control from laptop failed. Seemed like control was still either on phone or laptop, but not recognizing the pass between player hosts. 

Then I uninstalled Sonos app on android altogether... bam.  Spotify still recognozed my speakers even though I had uninstalled Sonos app entirely.  Then rebooted phone... still working.  Decided to reinstall Sonos and see if it breaks.  Still worked! 

Good luck folks - really sucks when basic functionality stops.  It's the only reason I got these speakers.  But keep in mind, if Spotify is working with other devices and fails with Sonos, I would tend to scrutinize the Sonos integration software more than Spotify.  Keep pressuring Sonos to assist with this issue. They are responsible for integrating hardware with music apps. 

And... my rant for the day: these Captchas suck BIG time.  My new and clear winner for most annoying technology.  I despise them!!!!

Thanks Miguele
I thught i had tryed everything, but this worked!!!

From WITHIN the Sonos app:

BROWSE/ SPOTIFY/ YOUR MUSIC...

Works every time so far...

Annoying, I know, but at least it works...

Suggested posts