Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't find Spotify Network, DNS problem

Solved!

Can't find Spotify Network, DNS problem

It's hard to believe that I have found so many posts on this issue, dating back years, and there's still no uniform solution?! Spotify has only worked on an LTE/4G connection the very first day I downloaded the premium trial and never again. I still have premium, but anytime I am not on Wifi I get an error message saying the Spotify Network can't be found due to an unspecified "DNS problem". I have an iphone 5, my iOS is up to date. I have no issues with streaming music via iTunes radio on an LTE/4G connection, I also receive my emails and messages just fine. I want to keep premium but it just doesn't make sense to pay for a service I can only use when I am in my house.

I have tried resetting the network settings on my phone, didn't work. I have tried resetting all settings on my phone, also didn't work. The only time I have been able to get the app to function as it should, is by restoring my phone to factory setting and then installing Spotify. Having the app function when it's the only app on my phone isn't much of a fix since though, there are other apps, data, and messages that I also need. But as soon as I restore from backup, the app stops working offline again.

Apple support told me to delete the app and reinstall and when that didn't work they said they couldn't help, tmobile said if it isn't a network connectivity problem they can't help, spotify support has been going back and forth with me for almost a month asking me to redo all the things I have already done, then finally said they'll "research" and get back to me. I'm not sure what else to do, other than cancel my premium membership ... it would be a great service, if it worked.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@driveflanger wrote:

Hi. DNS issues....uhmm try changing your dns on your device:

Instructions on how to change your DNS information, click here.

You can additionally check for spotify status at @SpotifyStatus maybe their dns are having a rough time,

Thanks for the suggestion Drive, unfortunately when I read the open DNS instructions I noticed that you can't change DNS settings for cellular data and since LTE/4G is where my connection problem was happening I realized this wouldn't be a fix for me.

By chance I decided to take a look on my iPhone at Settings > Cellular. This lists all the apps on your phone that are okay to use cellular data, and for some inexplicable reason Spotify was toggled off. I have never looked at, let alone changed those settings before today so my wild guess is that this might be some default setting that occurs randomly on phones that have or have previously had both an Apple music subscription and a Spotify subscription ... Maybe in an effort to stop music streaming from eating into your data plan? T-mobile offers free music streaming so I'm not sure it's an issue that came from them.  In any case ... problem solved! And the fix was super easy: just check settings>cellular> and then make sure the Spotify button is toggled on!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I faced the same problem. I rebooted my iphone and the problem is solved. Turns out that after I install spotify app, the notification" do you allow spotify to access network and celluar data" didn't pop up before I reboot iphone.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You can additionally check for spotify status at @SpotifyStatus maybe their dns are having a rough time,

Marked as solution

@driveflanger wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion Drive, unfortunately when I read the open DNS instructions I noticed that you can't change DNS settings for cellular data and since LTE/4G is where my connection problem was happening I realized this wouldn't be a fix for me.

By chance I decided to take a look on my iPhone at Settings > Cellular. This lists all the apps on your phone that are okay to use cellular data, and for some inexplicable reason Spotify was toggled off. I have never looked at, let alone changed those settings before today so my wild guess is that this might be some default setting that occurs randomly on phones that have or have previously had both an Apple music subscription and a Spotify subscription ... Maybe in an effort to stop music streaming from eating into your data plan? T-mobile offers free music streaming so I'm not sure it's an issue that came from them.  In any case ... problem solved! And the fix was super easy: just check settings>cellular> and then make sure the Spotify button is toggled on!

hank you so much dude

honestly, had this problem for two months now and you fixed it!

thank you!

Thank you so much. Had tried everything - reinstalling Spotify, reset, delete network settings. Lots of research and couldn't solve it at all. But boom.... This fixed it!!
Marked as solution

I faced the same problem. I rebooted my iphone and the problem is solved. Turns out that after I install spotify app, the notification" do you allow spotify to access network and celluar data" didn't pop up before I reboot iphone.

Mine is set to on, and it still doesn't work. So it's not a solution...

I had the same problem - for me I just didn't realise that Ihad mobile data turned off for Spotify! Go to settings > mobile data > then scroll down to Spotify and make sure it is selected

Suggested posts