Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can’t search my library by song or artist??

Can’t search my library by song or artist??

This new update is terrible. The options in my library are: playlists, artists (which is empty), and albums. Where did songs go? I only like a few songs off an album and would often put the songs from my library on shuffle and let it play. Now I can’t find 80%of my songs. I don’t want to make playlists. My library was my playlist. The reason I didn’t delete my account was so I wouldn’t lose all the songs I’ve saved but Spotify just lost them all with one update.

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone

Operating System

(iOS 

My Question or Issue

28 Replies

Dani, you are missing the point. I’m sure you are not the only person who likes to listen to all your music on shuffle, but as you pointed out, this was already possible through the Songs tab. So the change is effectively worthless as it duplicates existing functionality while removing others. It may be fine if all your music falls in one genre, but most people (myself included) do not want to hear a classical piece followed by rap followed by acoustic rock, for example. I am fully aware that my music was not deleted, but I am shocked that Spotify did not realize or care about how most people interact with their software, and simply went ahead and removed an intuitive way of organizing music which has been standard for decades, even predating software (Have you ever been to a record store?)

Can someone from Spotify please confirm that they are reading these comments, and that the change will be reverted? I won’t pay for another month otherwise.

Dani, unfortunately that’s not the same functionality. Previously “songs” was a list of saved songs created from clicking the plus button. “Liked songs” only includes songs where you click the heart. For some unfathomable reason, the macOS desktop app has the plus button and the iOS app has a heart. So, if I save a song from macOS, there’s no reasonable way to get to it from my mobile device. To the company representatives: I don’t care what icon the button has, or if it’s called songs or liked songs or whatever, but the lack of consistency and the constant changing of how songs are stored and displayed is really quite terrible. Given Spotify’s long time resistance to addressing customer concerns (unified playlist, integration with desktop notifications etc) I doubt this will change back to the more useful former UI, and now that iTunes is being reworked I imagine I’ll be moving to Apple Music soon enough.

I can only see Artists that I have followed on Spotify. Why remove the ability to search songs by Artists? It kind of defeats the purpose of having the feature to search by Artists yet can't anyways.

Another point to add that I think has not really been expressed is that fact that some times the song does not show under the artist page even after you have followed the artist. I believe it happens with compilation songs and albums mainly but still this is a major issue that really needs to be addressed. I have thought about why you guys did this and I have to think this is an effort to gauge someone’s true listening audience. I would have to think before you were going off of plays which can clearly be falsified if the artist has enough friends who are willing to leave a phone on 24/7 playing the same song.  But couldn’t you guys just go off if the song is like or downloaded. At the end of the day I’m not against the update it should just work correctly before it is released. I have 2 examples of the previously mentioned issue for you guys to see what I mean. 1.) Song: 3 Gymnopédies No. 1 Lent et Douloureux in D Major, Artist: Erik Satie, Pianoramix, Album: Piano Chillout 15 Relaxing Classical Pieces. When you click under the song to find the artist to follow it send you to Erik Satie as it should. But when you follow him this song will not show under the artist, and the same goes for this next example. 2.) Song: Fly Sh*t, Artist: Aasim D’Xplicit, Album: Only for the Real DJ: A Premier Selection of Hip Hop Inspired by the Boom Bap Sound.

Your songs are in the liked songs folder. 

So they have added a new way to scroll through your "liked songs" by artist. Go to liked songs, then at the top click filters and by artist. Then your whole library will be listed by Artist, alphabetically.

FIX THIS NOW. This update is trash. Why would I want to visit the artists page when I want to listen to to the songs of theirs I’ve favorited? Fire the person whose idea this was. 

How can Spotify be so smart, yet so stupid? It's a simple request to be able to search all personal playlists. I'm going to have to explore other streaming services that offer better organizational capabilities

Hey folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the Community!

We've been monitoring your feedback and will make sure it reaches the right teams. We always aim to improve and you can be sure that your voice will be heard.

Keep in mind that the new library UI design allowed us to remove the limit of 10.000 songs that could be previously saved in your library. This was one of the ideas with the strongest support in the Community and we're happy that it was implemented. If you have questions about the new design and how to navigate to your favorite tunes, we recommend that you check this Spotify Answer out. This one might also help you out, as it explains in detail how to save items to your music collection. 

We'll be closing this thread off for future comments in order to better facilitate gathering data on the topic as we aren't able to look into individual threads. If you would like new features implemented or a modification of existing ones, we suggest that you post in the Idea Exchange. This page has detailed instructions on how to do this. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see how popular a certain idea is with our users and helps us constantly improve the app. You can learn more about it on this page.

We hope this shines a bit of light on the matter. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Have a nice day.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts