Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't select songs

Solved!

Can't select songs

Plan: Free

Device: iPhone XR

Operating System: iOS 14.8

My apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I couldn't locate it. On my iPhone, if I select an album, I can't click on any songs from that album. That is, none of the listed songs can be selected to play (see attached image). I don't have this issue on my iPad or desktop, just the phone. I've asked others and nobody has encountered this limitation. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_0117.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @drmedulla

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Keep in mind that the app can vary across devices and types of subscription. As mentioned above, this is a limitation in the mobile app for free users. However, it's possible to play music on demand on the tablet and on the desktop apps. 

If you need help with anything else, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Hey there @drmedulla,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

With the free service, only shuffle play is possible and not on-demand.

This is one of the main differences between the free and Premium functions on mobile. You can learn more about the other differences here. In this case, it's expected that when you search for a song you'll get the album/playlist that contains that song and you'd be able to play that whole collection on shuffle. 

Hope this info helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks very much for the reply, tho it doesn't explain why my iPad and the phones of friends, all using the free option, have a distinctly UI than my phone. On my iPad, I can call up an album and pick which song to listen, but not on my phone, despite both being on the free option. That's the part that's confounding.
Marked as solution

Hi there @drmedulla

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Keep in mind that the app can vary across devices and types of subscription. As mentioned above, this is a limitation in the mobile app for free users. However, it's possible to play music on demand on the tablet and on the desktop apps. 

If you need help with anything else, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator

Thanks again for the response. So, if I understand you, it's just dumb luck that nobody else I know has this limitation on their phones—nobody I've asked has ever seen this kind of limitation, where I can't even see the tracks on an album—even tho they're also on the free plan? It's a curious business model …

Hey @drmedulla

Thanks for getting back to us. 

If your friends are able to pick tracks it might be because of the Pick and Play playlists. A Pick and Play playlist lets you select any track from it whenever you want, just like Spotify Premium.

Additionally, we’ve made all the playlists we make just for you on-demand. These include your Discovery Weekly, Daily Mix, and Release Radar playlists. Shuffle only playlists are marked with a blue shuffle symbol. This is not present on Pick and Play playlists.

Cheers!

EniModerator

Hi there,

I use a very similar phone (the iPhone XS Max) and I can’t select songs on it as well, but when I go on my 2020 iPad Pro I can select any of them. I think it’s just a “convenience” feature on phones as you carry them around so they suppose you don’t have the time to pick songs.

Hey @31tfetep5rtt3ibrkies,

Thanks for reaching out here and welcome to the Community. 

As @Eni mentioned in this post before, the functionalities of the app may vary in different devices (e.g. Windows, iPhone, Android). 

Your feedback is important to us and we'll make sure to pass your comments to the team in charge, letting them know this is something you'd like to see in mobile phones too. 

Remember the Community is here in case anything else comes up.

Have a great day!

AndresMModerator
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

yo same phone and problem here, I’m also in Canada.

also doesn’t work on any phone I’ve seen.

Hi there @SpecifyName,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you confirm if you're a Premium user or if you're using our free version?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have the same problem

I’m on free Spotify and I have the same limitations on my phone, iPad , I can choose 

so i got the same phone as my brother, and i can’t choose specific songs while he can without premium

this is a scam

I'm on tablet, it says to wait till tomorrow to be able to select what songs to play. It's Been doing this for 2 days. Tomorrow doesn't seem to come

Suggested posts