Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't turn off shuffle play

Solved!

Can't turn off shuffle play

I have tried to turn off the new shuffle play (using the 'I'). When I push this it says I need to upgrade to premium. I already do have premium. How do I get my songs playing in their right playlist order?

Solution by Matt Suda:

If you have a premium subscription, you will be able to turn off shuffle in the iPhone app.

265 Replies

I've seen a few YouTube videos where people have that 'i' and I think they had older versions. I have the newest update and I swear 2 god there is no 'i'

By the way, why didn't the people that made spotify just make it an option to use shuffle mode in the first place; it seems stupid that people have 2 pay $12 bucks a month 2 turn off shuffle mode. I hope the person that runs this site has a chat with Spotify about making an update where u can play music in any order without having to pay

Also, why does it say I'm a fan, I was just looking 4 an answer and didn't get 1, well at least not avert good 1

Hey, Spotify! Wake up!

You dont seem to notice that there are about 99 % of your customers (we are paying your salary) that are angry and frustrated abut the shuffle-function (do a search on the thing called Internet, and you´ll see). Even though we pay good money every month you cant turn it off!  And what about a help-desk or o support? Or even an email address? No no. I´m gonna use Grooveshark instead. You other guys, have you tried it? Works perfect, cost nada, more music, and also have a support.

Spotify, sorry for your upcoming death!

You can turn shuffle off it your have Spotify Premium. The toggle is always on the now playing screen.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I can't find the I on my iPhone... Help please!!!

There is no "i" anymore, the shuffle controls have now moved to the bottom left corner of the Now Playing screen.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This doesn't work for me as I can't see the "I" on my iPhone 4s app. Any further help please ??

Did you read Peter's reply?

I also dont have the i option so look for the crossed arrows to the left when playin a track, grren for shuffle on and white for shuffle off. Im running version 1.2.0.3344

Shuffle play turn off does not work. All of my playlists now have shuffle play as of a week ago.  Really frustrating.  There is no toggle that works.  Someone needs to FIX THIS PROBLEM. 

Hey all,

Everybody with an issue with their shuffle functions should take a moment to make sure they are using the correct account associated with their premium status. It is incredibly easy to accidentally two accounts, one associated with your facebook and one that is not.

Go to https://www.spotify.com/ and log in to the account you believe to have Premium status. Then go to your Profile and check the account status. If it shows you have Premium, logging into your device with the same credentials should allow you to play your songs freely. If it displays as Free, try logging in with Facebook or different credentials.

If you know you have paid for Premium, and cannot find the account with the membership associated with it, you should contact Spotify here: https://www.spotify.com/us/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/ and one of their advisors will be happy to help you out. If you receive an autoresponse, just send an email directly in reply and someone will be in touch shortly (even if it says no-reply).

There's a shuffle toggle (it has the twisted arrows pointing to the right) on the bottom left of the screen -- It can be found under the now playing screen, make sure that is NOT highlighted green. 

Spotifynowplaying

Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Thanks jeremygoh - this was the piece of information that I needed.    This is a dreadful piece of UX design as on the previous screen listing all the tracks for an album (on the Andriod app, at least) is a big green 'Shuffle Play' button which starts shuffle play but which provides no mechanism for switching off.    This is carefully hidden on a different screen - as you point out - so lots of people get confused and can't work out how to swich off Shuffle Play.
Another UX win for Spotify!!   (NOT) 
jeremygoh wrote:

There's a shuffle toggle (it has the twisted arrows pointing to the right) on the bottom left of the screen -- It can be found under the now playing screen, make sure that is NOT highlighted green. 

I click on the twisting arrows so that they aren't green and the message pops up, "Want to stop shuffle play?" And the only options are "Try Spotify Premium for Free" or "Later".

thank you that fixed my problem.  The i that everyone is talking about does not apply to the current Iphone version. The only fix is the one you posted.

Thanks for this, I couldn't figure it out at all, it was driving me mad. 

Thank you!!! This was driving me crazy; why the heck do they make it so hard to turn off shuffle play? They have an ENORMOUS button to turn on shuffle play, but to turn it off you have to find the "now playing screen". I rarely use that screen.

Once again: thank you, jeremygoh!

@Thespia1000 That means you aren't on a premium subscription, therefore you can't play music on demand. Read this for more:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Knows/Free-vs-Unlimited-vs-Premium-Subscription-Comparison-T...
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Hi. I've just started using Spotify on iPhone and that damned 'shuffle' issue is the first thing that hits you in the face. I saw your solution but can't find an 'i' anywhere on the screen either while playing a track or not

Has the UI changed since 2012 when you posted this?

Suggested posts