Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't turn off shuffle play

Solved!

Can't turn off shuffle play

I have tried to turn off the new shuffle play (using the 'I'). When I push this it says I need to upgrade to premium. I already do have premium. How do I get my songs playing in their right playlist order?

Solution by Matt Suda:

If you have a premium subscription, you will be able to turn off shuffle in the iPhone app.

265 Replies

It doesn't have the I at the top of the page where is it on the page?

I'm a Spotify customer, I'm trying to upgrade, it keeps sending me to subscription and payment. Fine, but I still have shuffle play, I don't want it.

Thank you, jeremygoh.

SHUFFLE PLAY - Please make it go away for Premium users. Searching the web (could not find clear instructions from Spotify), I finally shut the darn thing off; but it still eats up screen space with a huge green button looking like it's active. This option should be buried in Settings.

And for clarity the shuffle.jpg icon, needs to be displayed on the green Shuffle Play button (rather than the PLAY icon). That way there is some correlation between the button and its "switch" (the SHUFFLE icon) on an individual song within a playlist/album. So convoluted and confusing.

A black mark on an otherwise fine service.

Have iPhone 5
Can't switch off shuffle play, tried all comments
Not subscribed to premium is this the issue?
Was working ok until recently
My iPad still works
What's the problem

Try this: While a song is playing, click on the album cover - shown in the bottom left corner - which will bring up a larger picture. Underneath the 'play' icon there is a 'shuffle' icon (two arrows crisscrossing); if it is green it is on, touch it to turn it off and it will turn white. That should work.

Check your ACCOUNT under SETTINGS. It should say Premium. If not, logoff Spotify, then close. Open Spotify and logon. Go to SETTINGS and check ACCOUNT - it should now say Premium. Check this across all devices.

With an iPhone5, I've found SHUFFLE works like this: If you tap the green SHUFFLE button at the top of the screen, playback goes into the random play (shuffle) mode. If you tap SHUFFLE again, a new random track plays and the shuffle mode remains active. To disable shuffle mode, play any song within a playlist, then tap the bar at the very bottom of the screen where the track tile playing is shown (avoid hitting PAUSE). The screen now switches to the "single track" view.

Note the shuffle icon shuffle.jpg, lower edge of screen. The icon should be green indicating you're in shuffle mode. Carefully tap the tiny shuffle icon, and it will turn gray - shuffle off! 

What's confusing many users is that the SHUFFLE button is always displayed and always bright green, looking active. If hit it by accident, the shuffle mode becomes active across all playlists, not just the one you are parked on. You won't know that unless you examine a single song and see the shuffle icon is green.

I suggest (for paid users) the shuffle option be placed under SETTINGS>PLAYBACK. When set to ON, the SHUFFLE button would display when in playlist view; if OFF, there would be no SHUFFLE button. Simple.

hello

I am currently not a premium user.

It did work OK on Iphone 5 but now only gives shuffle mode

Cannot turn off shuffle.

My ipad and PC still work as normal with adds.

Do you need to be a premium user to use it without shuffle rubbish on Iphone 5.

Dont understand why it works on other devices as it did when set up.

steve

@transcup 

You have to be premium to use the iPhone app without shuffle. 

Due to licensing agreements, only the tablet and desktop apps can be played without shuffle. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks but I don't see any I in the screen - on the top of the screeen or anywhere else. Could you help me out!.

@Siggy 

If you have a premium subscription, you will be able to turn off shuffle in the iPhone app.

1. Press anywhere in the red circle below (in other words, don't press the play/pause icon).

s1.jpg

2. This will bring up the album cover with even more options towards the bottom of your screen.  See image below.

s2.jpg

3. At the very bottom will be your song options (play/pause, rewind, advance forward, etc).

4. Look to the very left of the play and you will see two more icons right below the timeline. These are the repeat and shuffle icons.

5. The shuffle icon is above the repeat icon.  If it's green, it means shuffle is enabled.  If it's white/gray, it is disabled.  Press to toggle.

Example below with shuffle enabled:

s3.jpg

And when toggled, now shuffle is disabled:

s4.jpg

MattSudaSpotify Star

if you are on mobile make sure to tap the song at the bottom of the screen, after the album art is full screen there should be two arrows at the bottom/left of the screen,it will be the arrows that intersect or cross

There is no I in the top of the screen while listening to a song. I've been a premium user for quite some time, and I'm so frustrated that I'm about to cancel my subscription. Please advise. 

image1.PNG

Open any album or playlist and click the album picture

firststep.jpg

Then check the marked icon and make sure it's gry, it can be green for shuffle or green with  lock for repeating the same song.

step2.jpg

Where is the 'i' on the screen? I can't see it!

@Emsi1978 

There is no "i" becuse that is a picture of a VERY OLD version of the app.

There is no longer an "i".

MattSudaSpotify Star

This was driving me absolutely mental!  I have to say, you need to give a similar command from the Playlist/Album view, or make the big green SHUFFLE PLAY button a toggle.

I can't listen to the musics I want because it has always the shuffle button on, even when i search for some tracks to try to create my playlist.
How can I turn off the shuffle option?
It never stops being green!
Thank you

I've tried it, but it didn't work!

Thanks for the answer!! I was going crazy.  however, just realized as I looked at the "answer" that it was posted in 2012!!! It's 2015 now. How has Spotify not made an improvement by now? How hard could it possibly be to make it so the user just clicks the big "shuffly play" button at the top of the playlist to turn the green shuffle bar gray...maybe that's too obvious.  seems silly

Suggested posts