CarPlay and Spotify...a match made in HELL

Highlighted

CarPlay and Spotify...a match made in HELL

Casual Listener

Apple's CarPlay has been out for awhile now, but Spotify hasn't seemed to address any of the major issues I and I'm sure many of you have encountered.  I primarily use Spotify in my car to replace using the builtin music player. I purchased my AVH-4000NEX for the sole purpose of CarPlay and the Spotify integration. Unfortunately in it's current form these 2 don't seem to play well with each other at all, and the experience is often frustrating and borders on being unusable at times. I currently am running the latest firmware update from Pioneer (1.0.8) I believe, and have that paired with an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.1.3.

Here are the problems I've encountered. Feel free to add yours and let's see if Spotify reads these boards and will do something about it

1. Trying to open Spotify from CarPlay results in app freezing (happens fairly frequently)

2. Selecting playlists and tracks from CarPlay results in huge lag or becomes completely unresponsive (happens fairly frequently)

3. Music shows as playing but no sound is output. Have to close app on phone and restart. Sometimes that works, or have to shut down phone completely and restart (happens every once in awhile)

4. Most annoying and most common problem: Almost every time Spotify connects with CarPlay, it randomly starts playing music from the YourMusic playlist, instead of continuing to play from where it left off. This is beyond annoying as re-selecting the desired playlist results in many songs playing over and over again. Just make it continue playing where it left off. (Occurs 99% of the time Spotify connects with CarPlay)

5. Lastly sometimes the app just flat out crashes in the middle of tracks, and restarts the phone.

89 Replies
Highlighted

Re: CarPlay and Spotify...a match made in HELL

Music Fan
6. Won't stay paused; cuts off Siri by resuming play on its own.

Community Legend
Thanks for the reports of this, I have escalated the CarPlay issues to the Spotify team, I will let you know when there is an update.

Highlighted

Music Fan
I hope so! This is an unmitigated disaster and is downright dangerous to use while driving. It's enough to make me consider bailing to Apple Music when it debuts.
Highlighted

Spotify Legend

Hey everyone. Staff here. Thanks for reporting.

Could you please give a clean reinstall of Spotify a try and let us know if this improved things?

Also, could use to know the following @BenjaminP

• Your Spotify version
  • Firmware version 
  • Steps to reproduce

Once we have this, we'll get it looked into. 

Highlighted

Music Fan

I sent a feedback report at the suggestion of @SpotifyCares.  My case number is 03092907.

I have app version 3.2.0 on an iPhone 5S, with iOS 8.3.

Steps to reproduce the issue?  Plug in phone to Apple CarPlay and tap Spotify.  From that point, it all breaks down.

1) tap to play but the screen goes blank with just the play button and nothing plays yet on the phone, the timeline is progressing like it is playing

2) when pausing or accessing Siri, Spotify will start playing on its own again (which disconnects Siri)

3) a playlist will be interrupted mid-song and begin play from the entire library

4) playlists not loading

5) unresponsiveness and crashing of CarPlay

These issues are DANGEROUS to fool with while driving, which makes the service unusable.  It is deal breaking for me, if not addressed.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Hey Benjamin,

I have the same problem like what you are mentioning with the same config on my Iphone 5s.

Do you have any new level of awareness with your issue?

@__spo__: Is there a solution within eyeshot?

André

@BenjaminP wrote:

@I sent a feedback report at the suggestion of @SpotifyCares.  My case number is 03092907.

I have app version 3.2.0 on an iPhone 5S, with iOS 8.3.

Steps to reproduce the issue?  Plug in phone to Apple CarPlay and tap Spotify.  From that point, it all breaks down.

1) tap to play but the screen goes blank with just the play button and nothing plays yet on the phone, the timeline is progressing like it is playing

2) when pausing or accessing Siri, Spotify will start playing on its own again (which disconnects Siri)

3) a playlist will be interrupted mid-song and begin play from the entire library

4) playlists not loading

5) unresponsiveness and crashing of CarPlay

These issues are DANGEROUS to fool with while driving, which makes the service unusable.  It is deal breaking for me, if not addressed.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I just spent a weekend on the road with my new Pioneer with CarPlay and my updated iphone 6.  Every other app worked just fine but the Spotify is 100% unusable.  

Luckily, I lhad access to iTunes and Pandora which both worked well. 

This is a big problem for Spotify and I hope they fix it soon.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

t-minus 2 days till I ditch Spotify and head over to Apple Music.  Good job working on that app Spotify!

Highlighted

Spotify Legend
Hey guys!

Can you try starting Spotify before connecting to the car and see if that improves things? Also, what version are you running? We believe this is fixed in 3.4.0.
SUGGESTED POSTS