Announcements

CarPlay and Spotify...a match made in HELL

Highlighted

Re: CarPlay and Spotify...a match made in **bleep**

Music Fan
Shouts to Spotify for fixing this so fast. #sarcasm. Time to claim some charge backs on their crappy product since their support team wants to play this game
Highlighted

Spotify still freezes when on carplay. I Use IoS 10 (happened als on on 9) and Spotify 5.7.0.1055 on a VW Discover Media Carplay system. I use Spotify in offline mode in the Car. When I access Spotify beforehand on my phone (online)  and then get in on carplay it works fine. Carplay will play the offline playlist. But when I later that same day try again on carplay (without accessing Spotify on the phone) it will result in a frozen screen with the play and fast forward Return buttons and no sound.

Hope this helps in reproducing the problem!

Looking forward for a solution

Highlighted

Re: CarPlay and Spotify

Casual Listener

2016 VW - iPhone 6s - latest software - all of sudden the "Artists" list that appears on the Carplay menu does not match the Artisit list i have on my Spotify app on all other devices.  it's very abbreviated and is missing 90% of the list.  very frustrating - what do we do to fix that?

Highlighted

Music Fan

I am also experiencing this issue.

ios 10.1 beta

Spotify premium 6.5.0 app

2016 VW Golf with Discover Media & CArplay

Highlighted

Music Fan
I don't think Spotify will ever fix this pos app for CarPlay. It's not their priority. They want the short term investment instead of the long term.

They would rather cater to the kids using their app instead of the CarPlay crowd which could potentially be the thing that really puts them on the map. Sad. Smh
Highlighted

2016 Honda Civic Coupe Touring. Mine does the same thing ....playlists are there but click on a song and it goes blank. So sad that support doesn't address this issue.

2016 Golf GTI SE, iOS 10.0.2, Discover Pro (I believe the software version is 613 IIRC)

All kinds of issues here:

1. Spotify simply not connecting despite strong cell signal strength (kinda happens anywhere, not just in CarPlay, but mostly CarPlay)

2. App freezing on connect (fun fact, this lead me to try Apple Music on a whim... more on that briefly)

3. SLLLOOOOWWWW loading despite strong cell connection.

4. Occasionally, if I get a call while listening to music, the music continues playing through the call. The other party can't seem to hear it, but it's there, distorted as if coming through the phone line, and louder than a conversational voice. This is very, very annoying.

5. Spotify will crash unexpectedly out of nowhere, and take CarPlay with it.

I thought at first it was just my old iPhone, but even with a new iPhone 7, completely and totally up-to-date, these issues continue.

I'm giving it 30 days, otherwise, moving to Apple Music as it's been stellar, no performance issues, no problems connecting/resuming play, and no weird hiccups outside of the car, either.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

thx jzakrzeski  - re: your list:

3 - slow loading - YES

4 - have the same issue with music continuing to play when receiving a phone call

i'll give it 30 days too and then move to Apple Music on your "stellar" advise.

Highlighted

Regular
I may have found a way to reproduce the problem on my system (Spotify 6.5, Pioneer SPA-DH120)

When I leave the house I notice that sometimes Spotify says it is offline, even though it has Wifi or a 4G signal on the phone (and other apps have no difficulty connecting). 

If I plug it into the car while it *thinks* it is offline, CarPlay fails to work; it lists everything as expected (apart from artists where most are missing but that's a different issue) but will not play any music, just showing the blank title with player controls. 

If I wait till Spotify thinks it is online before plugging it it, it seems to work OK. 

Of course, this means that every time I get into the car I need to start Spotify, then wait till it decides it has a signal (whether the phone has one or not), then start the engine and plug in.

UPDATE: just to clarify it doesn't matter if Spotify is on or offline, if it *thinks* its offline then CarPlay stops working even when Spotify returns online.

I also have to say that Apple Music can be a bit temperamental when the signal is didgy but it seems to recover quickly, whereas I'm getting pretty tired of driving along in silence after spending a load of money on a CarPlay head unit.
Highlighted

Casual Listener

Excellent analysis. I've been observing the exact same behavior. Could we have someone at Spotify take this serioulsy? I've been opening 2 support tickets and the only feedback I got was : engineers are working on it. I'm not sure everybody knows that migrating from one streaming platform to another is dead easy using the multiple tools that exist online. Just saying. 

SUGGESTED POSTS