Announcements
Hey folks! Spotify seems to be playing skip rope with some tracks at the moment. We're aware of this and looking into it. Subscribe here for updates.

CarPlay and Spotify...a match made in HELL

Highlighted

Re: CarPlay and Spotify...a match made in **bleep**

Casual Listener

I just tried Spotify on my CarPlay unit and had no luck at all. I try to play an album I have downloaded and it brings up the album playing screen then immediately kicks back to the artist screen. I have yet to have it actually play anything.

Highlighted

Casual Listener
I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it, but maybe make sure you’re not logged into spotify anywhere else. It seems to be working in my car at the moment and I’m not logged on my computer.

That said - my iphone 7 plus works in my wife’s car 2016 VW Golf, but not in mine 2016 VW Golf Alltrack and my wife’s iphone 6 spotify works in both cars no problem.

Too weird
Highlighted

Spotify Legend

We recently fixed a lot of bugs in CarPlay, also included new features that Apple provides now with iOS10 (e.g tabs, shuffle/repeat and more). Have you all tried with our latest app 7.5.0?

We do realize though that we still have auto-play issues which are being fixed at the moment so hopefully those fixes will be in the one of the next releases. 

Please continue to report issues you see here. I'll stay in touch.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Hi katjag. Great news. I've been using 7.5.0 on Carplay for a couple of days and the performance is better. I'm testing 7.6.0 (760001108) since today and I've notices 2 issues (I'm sending an email to the beta team as well) :

- When starting from home (wifi) or from the Office's basement, my phone is off coverage. So I start Spotify using Carplay but even tough a few minutes later I have full 4G coverage, each I'll start a track from a playlist (even an offline one), it'll switch from the player screen back to the playlist immediately. When this happens, it get impossible to play anything. Checking my phone at the same time, it says Spotify's offline (forever) - even though I have coverage. I've seen that behavior before, I'm not sure it's Carplay related. 

- The album view has a limit that (for me) goes intil the letter "P". It's obviously a question of number of albums as it changes when I add / remove one. So much for The XX's xx 😉 

Highlighted

Casual Listener
Ask me! I'm on 7.6.0 and iOS 10.2.1 and I still don't see any add/shuffle/repeat buttons on a Now Playing screen. Although there are "thumb" buttons in a radio mode. Did you say they are available now or I misunderstood?

PS: And on 7.5.0 choosing a song in a list initiated playing of a random other song ) but it seems to be fixed now
Highlighted

Casual Listener
Even with the updates it's still not working for me. Same result as before...trying to play a song causes the screen to flash up briefly the. Immediately go away and put me back at the song list.
Highlighted

Casual Listener
I'm having issues with CarPlay, I have an iPhone 7 Plus running the most up to date iOS and 7.6.0.1136 of Spotify. On the main screen i get options for Playlists, Songs, Albums, Artists. Selecting Albums or Artists makes the app crash, choosing Songs sometimes works but can play a different song than the one I've pressed. All started to happen coincidentally after I'd signed up for premium.

Also, don't know how much the actual car contributes but it's a 2016 Peugeot 2008.

I'm also using 7.6.0.1136 and I have the same issues for a year.    the playback issues happen more if you are switching from radio into carplay.  I generally start playing something else before even attempting to open Spotify.   The app is crazy slow, organized poorly, and just not what we expect from Spotify. I've been patient but the problems haven't gotten worse.

Please make it a priority to break up the lists with the alphabet. I don't think anyone can scroll through the entire list anyway while driving the car.  By doing this you would solve:

1. the slowness of loading lists
  2. not being able to see any artists or albums past the letter "N".   

Highlighted

Im on the latest update and Premium and I have yet been able to use Spotify at all on car play.. it just loads for ages and then says it can't connect.

Very disappointed Spotify! Not what I expected!
Highlighted

Casual Listener

A few things that might help both sides here:

Different cables seem to produce diffrent results. The best results I have had is using a genuine Apple cable plugged directly into the deck. DO NOT use a dash mounted USB extension with CarPlay, it causes may issues. (Dash mounted USB port, like the one from PAC, etc)

Make sure the firmware is updated in your deck, (!!!) for aftermarket decks, look at the manufactures website, for factory decks, good luck, try the stealership.

I am an MECP Master Certified Installer, I have installed hundreds of CarPlay decks and I use it everyday in my own car. I have experienced almost every issue listed on this site! Its extreamly frustrating!

For Users:

Make sure you are using an Apple cable, plugged in directly, no entensions

Update your firmware, if you can

For Spotify:

If you want to experience these issues, they will happen most when switching from one music (or any audio) source to another. Its like Spotify can't "seize" the audio channel back from the previous app.

Example, reboot phone, listen to spotify on carPlay, use maps, after a direction, Spotify sometimes fails to play audio. The song is progressing, but no sound.

Example, Play spotify on catPlay, switch to apple music to hear the news on NPR radio, switch back to Spotify, same issue as above.

Spotify, if you want help, email me.

SUGGESTED POSTS