Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

CarPlay and Spotify...a match made in HELL

CarPlay and Spotify...a match made in HELL

Apple's CarPlay has been out for awhile now, but Spotify hasn't seemed to address any of the major issues I and I'm sure many of you have encountered.  I primarily use Spotify in my car to replace using the builtin music player. I purchased my AVH-4000NEX for the sole purpose of CarPlay and the Spotify integration. Unfortunately in it's current form these 2 don't seem to play well with each other at all, and the experience is often frustrating and borders on being unusable at times. I currently am running the latest firmware update from Pioneer (1.0.8) I believe, and have that paired with an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.1.3.

Here are the problems I've encountered. Feel free to add yours and let's see if Spotify reads these boards and will do something about it

1. Trying to open Spotify from CarPlay results in app freezing (happens fairly frequently)

2. Selecting playlists and tracks from CarPlay results in huge lag or becomes completely unresponsive (happens fairly frequently)

3. Music shows as playing but no sound is output. Have to close app on phone and restart. Sometimes that works, or have to shut down phone completely and restart (happens every once in awhile)

4. Most annoying and most common problem: Almost every time Spotify connects with CarPlay, it randomly starts playing music from the YourMusic playlist, instead of continuing to play from where it left off. This is beyond annoying as re-selecting the desired playlist results in many songs playing over and over again. Just make it continue playing where it left off. (Occurs 99% of the time Spotify connects with CarPlay)

5. Lastly sometimes the app just flat out crashes in the middle of tracks, and restarts the phone.

89 Replies

I’ve finally jumped ship. The app through CarPlay keeps swinging from ‘oh they’ve fixed that’ to ‘oh now that doesn’t work’

So I started an Apple Music trial this week and the fact I can use Siri to choose any song or album has sold me. Yeah it’s probably a conspiracy but it works.

I️ have problems 2-4 almost every time I️ use it

Spotify Premium, iPhone 8, and 2018 Audi A5. Carplay works great everywhere... except Spotify. Tracks often show on screen as playing, but 25% of the time, Spotify fails to take command of the audio system (no sound). Other times, tracks play sped up to at least doubletime. Unplug, change to radio, switch back to Carplay, close app... a combination of these actions can temporarily fix Spotify, but all this interaction is plain dangerous while driving.

On top of it, the Spotify interface is really bad when navigating long lists of artists or albums. This is simply bad UI/UX design. The litany of problems posted here indicate that Spotify simply isn't serious about their mobile apps. One would think it would be a top priority.

I'm "this close" to switching to Apple Music, unless someone at Spotify can tell me of an imminent and substantial update to their app. Countdown is on.

I made the jump to Apple Music about 6 weeks ago & the ability to use Siri just sold me within minutes.

Hi, I am using Spotify with Apple Car Play on an Audi Q5 2018.

Is there a way to sort my playlists songs from Title order to Recently Added, as I can do in the IOS app?

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time coming and through lots of frustration, I feel that I have a fix for our Spotify and Carplay issues where you plug in your phone and start your car and spotify doesn't respond when hitting the play button, etc.

The Fix?

Open your Spotify iOS App (make sure you have the latest version and also have the latest iOS update for when my reply was made on 01/09/18.

Goto the settings icon on the top right (the gear).

Goto the Devices option

And make sure the "Show Local Devices Only" toggle is turned "ON" (where it's green). Also make sure the Devices Lock Screen toggle is turned "ON" (where it's green).

These two items being turned on have worked for me for the last 3 weeks where i haven't had ONE issue with Spotify working with Carplay, when I used to have it happen almost daily each time i started my car.

Two other friends have also confirmed this being the fix and that Spotify starts right up when they start their car, meaning it comes up and starts playing quickly, and works correctly 🙂

Hopefully this works for all of you!

All well and good if you're not using Amazon Echo devices! Turning that show local devices only to 'on' stops you from being able to select it as a speaker.

Not using echo so don’t really care 😛

Carplay now works for me and that’s all that matters.

Will try this tonight. If this works, you my friend should be owed a large sum of money from Spotify!

I was about to test this option when I saw your comment. I have a couple Amazon Echo devices, which the kids love. They play Disney songs, over and over...

I'm too starting to think about going back to Apple Music, not to mention Spotify no longer supports my Pioneer receiver. The advantage of Spotify for me is still the fact I can use it with Carplay (albeit with issues), Sonos and Alexa (Amazon Echo). 

If there is one feature I would like to have on Carplay/Spotify is the abilitly to seatch music via voice commands, which for now I can only do with Siri/Apple Music.

PS: I have a CR-V with Apple CarPlay.

Suggested posts