CarPlay extremely buggy

CarPlay extremely buggy

Music Fan

Spotify on CarPlay is buggy bordering on unusable.   If I try to play my starred playlist, I just get a 'empty' looking playlist.  Sometimes it will start playing something after 30 or so seconds but most of the time it does nothing.

Spotify will also randomly force close.  Music cuts, screen goes back to the main carplay menu.  

Sometimes it will startup normally but then I get no sound.

This is Spotify running on iOS 8.0.2 via iPhone 6+ on a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX head unit.

Please, please work on CarPlay. 

Edit 1-5-2015: Spotify 2.2.0.2464 on iOS 8.1.2 (12B440) on iPhone 6+ and the issues are still there.

Edit: 6-11-2015: Spotify 3.2.0.1554 on iOS 8.3 (12F70) on iPhone 6+: Recently I've had better luck with Spotify loading correctly and playing correctly. Occassionally I'll have audio break up (not sure if that's the iPhone 6+, Spotify or the head unit).     It should be noted that I like Spotify and don't care for other products out there (for some reason another product was marked as the solution to this thread).  I'm glad to see some positive movement for Spotify and CarPlay.

6-11-15 Update 2:   2 things happen frequently:  Songs play at 2x (skipping every few seconds).  Spotify stops responding for 4-5 seconds.

473 Replies
Highlighted

Re: CarPlay extremely buggy

Regular

I am having the same issues.  I am afraid I have to classify spotify on Carplay (iPhone 6+ and 4000NEX) as completely unusable.

Highlighted

Same here. Not really usable - huge lags when I do anything (Pioneer AVH-X8600BT).

Highlighted

Add me too. Running iOS 8.0.2 on an iPhone 6 with an AVIC 8000NEX. One weird issue is that when I try to bring up a playlist or my songs list, it constantly tries to re-load the album art, it's like it downloads album art, deletes it, and re-downloads it, all several times per second. This results in the list becoming unresponsive most of the time, likely because it's constantly updating its contents. If I ever am able to select a song, it just goes to a blank screen with nothing but playback controls.

Highlighted

Community Legend

Update: Thanks to technologiq for the clarification

Highlighted

Regular
Having the exact same problem. Album are constantly reloading and blank screen when I choose my music. I got the app to work once for 15 minutes then it continued to crash.

Opening the app before loading Carplay, defeats the whole purpose of Carplay. Right now Spotify is just not usable.
Highlighted

Music Fan

Matt,

CarPlay is a set of API's, published by Apple.  If a receiver or a vehicle has CarPlay - it's been 'signed off' by Apple.     It doesn't matter what receiver or car you are using - Spotify on CarPlay appears to be in an alpha status at best.  The experience is so bad that I do wonder why Spotify chose to implement it in this release other than to coincide with Pioneers release.

There aren't different versions of CarPlay to be implemented by third party companies.  Someone with a Ferrari FF is going to have the same experience as myself or anyone else with a CarPlay compatible head unit.  You may be thinking of things like MirrorLink, AppRadio, etc that are different manufacturers implementations of 'apps in your dash.    CarPlay is Apples 'standard' for using an iOS device in your vehicle.

Highlighted

Community Legend

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know much about CarPlay which is sad because you could call me an "Apple fanboy". With the lack of CarPlay availability I haven't really looked into it much.

Highlighted

Casual Listener
I have the same issues, running IOS8 on the IPHONE 6, connected to an AVH-X8600bt
Highlighted

Music Fan

Matt,

I recommend you use this opporunity as an excuse to get a CarPlay compatible receiver 🙂

SUGGESTED POSTS