Carplay: Podcast does not resume playing after Maps directions

Plan: Premium

Device: iPhone X iOS 14

Car: 2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport

1. Start navigation using Apple Maps via Siri voice command

2. Start podcast JRE via Carplay touch screen

3. Apple Maps interrupts to give next set of directions

4. Podcast should resume playing, it does not

The Apple Podcasts app will resume playing the podcast after Siri is done giving directions. This is a huge regression in UX since listening to the JRE via the Podcasts app please fix this bug!

26 Replies

having the same issue here and it's not just a single head unit, it's both of our cars multiple phones and multiple headunits, ilx-107 and 2020 subaru outback iphone 11pro and iphone xr, 2 friends also with different headunits and phones also confirm this issue with me. so this is a major bug spotify needs to address, it's app wide specically with podcasts, music still resumes just fine.

Same here. Please fix that Spotify ASAP.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

We appreciate your feedback and have passed it on to the right folks at our developer team. They are aware of this issue and are working on a fix. We cannot say when exactly this will be solved, but we recommend keeping your Spotify app, Car Play and iOS up to date, as software improvements come with every update. 

Hope this shines a bit of light on the matter. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

please fix soon. It’s so disruptive that it pushes me to go back to Apple Music.

Hey there @werffdog,

Thank you for your post and feedback.

As mentioned before - we've passed on the feedback to the relevant team and they are aware of this issue and are working on a fix.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Any updates? I’m driving across country and this is incredibly disruptive. I don’t have car play (connected thru Bluetooth to my vehicle audio) so I have to pick up my phone, open Spotify, press play on whatever I’m listening to and then do it all over again every time the navigation speaks. 

Please fix this bug.

Any update here?

I believe I’ve found a solution for this

1. Go to phone settings

2. Go to maps

3. Turn off “PAUSE SPOKEN AUDIO”

any solution?

Hey there @Glassman1122

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Our team is aware of an Ongoing Issue causing this behavior and they're looking into it.

In this case, we’d suggest adding your +VOTE to this Ongoing Issue and following the recommendations you'll find there. You can also subscribe to it by clicking the three-dot menu next to the title and we’ll keep you updated with any relevant updates there.

If anything else comes up, we'll be right here. 

Have a good one.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

1. Go to phone settings

2. Go to maps

3. Turn off “PAUSE SPOKEN AUDIO”

It still happens for me when using Siri. I’ve actually noticed it sometimes when just using Siri on my phone (not using CarPlay). So annoying. I honestly just use Spotify’s podcasts for JRE. and even still, I listen to it less and less. 

Hey there @DrinkZima,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Let us know how everything works so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to. We're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Yes I’ve tried hard reset as well as turning audio only on. Nothing seems to help. I believe it has to do with joe rogans podcast being video only

It’s any podcast on Spotify that has video also. This behavior happens on all iPhone models, all iOS versions. I’ve tested it in 5 different iPhones and iOS versions. There’s simply something wrong with how Spotify gets paused that’s buggy. 

This is a huge safety issue and needs to be fixed

Gone are the days of enjoying JRE podcasts while driving

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your messages.

We’re aware of an Ongoing Issue causing this behavior. Rest assured that the team in charge is currently looking into it.

In this case, we’d recommend adding your +VOTE to this Ongoing Issue and following the recommendations you'll find in the Status Update. You can also subscribe to it by clicking the three-dot menu next to the title and we’ll keep you updated with any relevant updates there.

If anything else comes up, we're always one reply away.

Cheers!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

This is GREAT. Helpful solution, and is a solid workaround.  However, it still does not solve the issue completely.  

The podcast should still pause and automatically restart around navigation dictation.  (like it does in all other podcast apps... namely apple) 

Spotify, if possible please make it so the podcast will restart automatically.  It is a legitimate safety hazard to have to restart the podcast potentially every few seconds or minutes during a podcast... not to mention incredibly frustrating. 

• What solution are you referring to?

Suggested posts