Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Certain “local files” not downloading

Solved!

Certain “local files” not downloading

After many attempts these past few days, i’ve finally given up. For some odd reason, only certain local files (as seen in the picture) download, while others do not. I have no idea why this is happening.

• Yes, the local files source is on and I tried creating new folders in new locations.
  • I allowed both Spotify apps through my firewall.
  • I tried the Personal Hotspot trick.
  • The files that ARE downloaded are in a different folder and are working fine. The greyed out files have been tried in multiple locations and don’t work. 
  • Those files ARE .mp3 files. I can listen to them fine on my laptop. As for my phone, nope.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 🙂

[edit: spelling]

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

(iPhone X, HP Spectre x360 Convertible)

Operating System

(iOS 11.4.1, Windows 10)

32AE3963-75DB-4BAC-AB49-35A93FD152AC.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Got it, @slimeman1118.

In that case, it's possible that you might have a slight hiccup with your account's offline cache, but that can be easily solved. You just need to remove your offline devices by heading here and clicking on "Remove all devices".

Once you've done that, make sure that the changes take place by reinstalling the app with these stepsYou'll need to resync your offline tunes after you're finished (if you have any), but you can do this over Wi-Fi.

We hope this helps 🙂

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hey @slimeman1118, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. We'll definitely be able to help out though. 

Does the issue persist if you change the file type of the songs that aren't working? You can find the supported file types here.

Let us know if that helps.

All of the songs are .mp3 files. I don't believe that is the problem.

Marked as solution

Got it, @slimeman1118.

In that case, it's possible that you might have a slight hiccup with your account's offline cache, but that can be easily solved. You just need to remove your offline devices by heading here and clicking on "Remove all devices".

Once you've done that, make sure that the changes take place by reinstalling the app with these stepsYou'll need to resync your offline tunes after you're finished (if you have any), but you can do this over Wi-Fi.

We hope this helps 🙂

This worked! Thank you!

Thank you SO MUCH for this! I have been pulling my hair out trying to get a Local File to play on my phone and there are so many threads with very similar advice. Your tip about clearing the offline cache has to be the thing that works. Thank you!

Hey! I have the same problem, but these links are no longer available. I have some local songs that got synced to my iPhone, but some songs are not syncing, they are just getting greyed out on my phone when I try to play them, I can only play them on my desktop. I do have some offline devices, but I can't remove them manually anymore, if I get this right. Any idea how to resolve this problem? Thanks in advance!

Hey there @bgazsi,

Thank you for your post in this thread.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We also recommend that you perform the troubleshooting steps that's been provided in this thread if you haven't all ready.

if none of that does the trick, you can contact our customer support and they'll help you remove all of your offline devices.

Let us know how everything goes. We're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey Jeremy, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately the clean reinstall didn't solve the problem either. After that, I've tried to figure out what's the difference between the songs that successfully got downloaded to my iPhone and those that didn't. I've noticed that any song that has an accented letter in the title or the album's name didn't got copied - alongside some songs that doesn't have that - but anyway, I've updated the metadata for those songs, replaced the accented letters, because I couldn't think of anything else, but that didn't solve the problem either, so my last chance is to ask your customer support to help me remove my offline devices. If that's not helping either I'll just give up and use Apple's Music app to listen to those albums I've physically bought, and will stream the songs on Spotify which are there. It's a pity, but it is what it is. Thank you for your time, have a nice day!

Please let me know if you found an answer. I’m having this issue too and I have not found a solution yet

Hey! No I haven’t, my solution is that I sync the music I have on my computer to my iPhone and listen to those music in the built in iPhone app instead of Spotify

Hey there,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Not long ago there was a redesign of how the Local Files function is implemented and currently there is no option to sync local files between devices. You can still play them, but they'll have to be on the device the playback is supposed to happen. You can find more information on how to do that on this page

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts