Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast groups - individual chromecast devices not appearing

Chromecast groups - individual chromecast devices not appearing

fyNone of the below information is required. However, the more you provide the easier it will be for us to try and help.

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

iPhone x

My Question or Issue

I have 5 Chromecast devices and two groups. When I put any of the devices in a group, the group appears and works fine but the individual chromecast device becomes missing from the list. I have an additional 4 Chromecast Ultra's for the TV which still appear on the list. 

I can play to the missing chromecasts through the Google Home but when I try and control the stream with my app it crashes. Otherwise I have to ungroup the chromecasts from the Google Home app each time I want to pick an individual cast.

23 Replies

I have exactly the same Problem on an iPhone 8 running the latest iOS and Soitify App. I have one Chromecast, one Chromecast Ultra, 3 Google Homes and one Chromecast Audio (all of them can theoretically play Spotify music) and also two Groups containing some of the devices. 

In my case, Spotify always misses to display one exact group, no matter how often I readd the group. If tell Google Home to start playing music on that group, I can control it using Spotify, but the app says it would cast to one of the device in the group, instead of the group.

Super annoying! Other apps like TuneIn even get the volume Control for individual Group members working and Spotify isn’t even able to cast to all of them, additionally the volume control on a locked android or iOS device works only very occasionally.

Addition:

it seems like Spotify always displays exactly as much devices/groups as there are real devices on the network (found that out by taking some offline). As soon as I add groups, it becomes a chance if one of the devices or the new group isn’t shown in Spotify, the amount stays the same.

I've even upgraded my iPhone to IOS 11.4 today. 
Still no difference! 

Does not seem to be an iOS related issue, all other works get Chromecast Streaming working, most of them even with far more features than spotify. Seriously considering to change to Google Play Music after 3 Years of Spotify

I have just started looking into Google Play Music as an option. 

Have been using Spotify Premium for a while now and have been very happy with it. That is, until now. 

Ive made a conscious choice to buy my audio system for the purpose of being able to play my audio around my house as I chose. 

This is clearly a bug and despite efforts to have Spotify deal with it through their web site, forums, social media and even trying find a number to call them (unsuccessfully), it would seem that the ONLY element that is “Premium” about the paid service is the disappearance of advertising because there is certainly NO Premium service for those who shell out every month - at all. 

I called Google and actually spoke to someone. I called Apple and actually spoke to someone. On both occasions I received service and attention to my queries. I even had the guy from Google call me from the USA to Australia at a time I asked for! 

Spotify- time to lift your game and support those who are supporting you! 

840 Views so far!

The posts that I have made on this BUG have had over 840 views without ONE solitary comment from Spotify. No acknowledgement of the bug. No suggestion whether to try something different. No prompt to have the issue escelated. Nothing! Zero! 

Premium service? Nope! 
Disappointment? Yep!

Are there any news on this topic?

@AussieRo is there a way to vote for the issue you created? If not, how do I create an issue if I have a premium subscription?

I have the same issue. All other apps show groups and all individual devices fine, but Spotify does not. Ugh!

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/Bxo4wKwf_jA;context-place=forum/chromecast

Report the issue on Google Chromecast Help Forum. I have spoken to them too. 

This might help. I have heard NOTHING from Spotify. 
I have recontacted Spotify on their Facebook page (spotifycares) but they have no news nor updates at all. 

I get promises of following up, but nothing has ever come. 

Exactly this! ^^

It's a bug in Spotify's app, which is probably limiting it to the number of chromecasts on the network. Removed all my groups and I now see the chromecasts. With groups some disapear.

Get it look at Spotify team!

Sorry.... but they're not listening.... at all. 

This issue is being experienced by many users, there've been THOUSANDS of views on this topic throughout the forum and NOT ONE reply from ANY staff member from Spotify. NOTHING!  

This is disappointing. Just startet Free Test month with Google Play Music. All the Chromcast devices and groups just work perfectly fine there as well as the Airplay devices. Maybe it’s time to switch after 4 years Spotify premium. 

• Can highly recommended Google Play Music, it just got bundled with YouTube premium so you can also listen to the audio of YouTube videos over Chromecast Audio or Google home (and of course it supports all devices). Really like that feature for DJ Sets and Podcasts.

Yes.... I have played with Google Play Music... and YES... all the devices show up there.
I just learned that in 2016 it was estimated that there's been over 55 million Chromecast devices that have been sold around the world. 
I can only imagine how many have been sold now!

It strikes me as being VERY odd that Spotify glaringly refuses to respond to its users about this issue despite the abundance of reports from users on this forum. 
It just so happens that Spotify and *DRUM ROLL* Samsung have just announced a close partnership! (wink)

Is it about the same pricing?
How's the range of music?

I've tried the free version and all the devices (and groups) show up perfectly...

I just learned that in 2016 it was estimated that there have been over 55 million Chromecast devices that have been sold around the world. 
I can only imagine how many have been sold now!

It strikes me as being VERY odd that Spotify glaringly refuses to respond to its users about this issue despite the abundance of reports from users on this forum. 
It just so happens that Spotify and *DRUM ROLL* Samsung have just announced a close partnership! (wink)

Pricing is more or less the same as Spotify. Regarding range of content I did not miss anything so far, but I just started using Google Music. There are articles that compare the offerings, saying that google has even more content.

Thanks. Great.... will have a look at that. 
Do you have any of the articles that you'd care to share? 🙂

@Alfredo

Here too!! 

Same issue!

Seems like Chromecast SDK has some bug fixes around Groups discovery - maybe this is our issue? And we just need to wait for Spotify to integrate the latest SDK?

Is there a way to check which SDK version spotify app uses?

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/release-notes

June 13, 2018

iOS Sender v4.3.0

• Bug Fixes
    • Fixed a discovery issue with groups.

Suggested posts