Premium

Country

USA

Device

IPhone 11 Pro

Operating System

IOS 13.3.1

My Question or Issue

When I connect to my chrome cast speakers from my iPhone, it will play for a few minutes and then it stops. When this happens, I see the volume slider appear on my phone briefly, and spotify is no longer connect to the speakers. I can reconnect and play again, but the issue will intermittently occur. Sometimes it occurs again almost immediately. If o force close spotify after the music starts, the music continues to play with no issues. On android phone I do not have this issue. Issue has been happening since January I believe.  Playing music from Google play on my iPhone with the same speakers has no issues at all. Please help, I think it may be a big in the ios app. 

18 Replies

This happens for me on Android as well (and from my Macbook)! I've restarted the apps multiple times, logged out of ALL accounts but nothing seems to resolve it. My wife (on the same family account) does not have this problem.

I've found that the only solution to the problem is to kill the Android app as soon as you start the casting. It seems like the phone (Galaxy S20+ in my case) forces Spotify to pause the playback when in the background and not actually playing any sound (because it works perfectly fine when listening to bluetooth speakers)

Yep. That's my experience too. Cast, then kill the app.

What a terrible implementation of Chromecast. Why won't Spotify fix this? It's been going on for at least two years now.

This is the one issue that has kept me from renewing my Spotify Premium subscription. It makes it basically unusable for my primary usage. 😞

I'm a premium user and it also happens when I stream via my pixel phone

For what it's worth, this resolved itself for me just after I posted (must have been an app update). 

I'll report back here if/when it starts failing again.

Yeah, tested again today and the problem is back. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

To the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far, we'd like to add a few more. You can check these steps and run a clean reinstall. By doing that you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not leading to any issues. It's also a good idea to restart the router.

If you still experience this issue, we'd suggest to check this and add your +VOTE to and Subscribe so you can get notified about any updates on this. 

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I started to experience the problem only AFTER I started using my Spotify account on an iphone alongside Android devices.

So, the problem could be related to several different kind of devices using the same account.. or just Apple devices.

Does this apply to other cases as well or do you have problems with just one Android device connected to your account?

Hey there @bensaa

Thank you for reaching out to us.

The fact that you're using different devices should not be causing this.

Could you confirm if you followed the troubleshooting steps that was provided by @Ver ?

If the issue still persists after the trouble shooting we recommend you to check this out and add your +VOTE and Subscribe so you can get notified about any updates on this. 

Keep us posted. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

Mario Moderator

I have the same experience. Never had any issue with casting spotify to our chromecast. However, since I changed my android phone for an iphone one, I have this exact issue. It does not matter with what device I am casting. Ipod, windows laptop, etc. 

Hello,

I have this problem anytime I stream anything. I have tried all the trouble shooting suggestions, reinstall, chromecast factory reset, the chromecast is wired via ethernet to the router, logged out logged in. I am still having the problem and makes this functionality unusable. 

Is there a solution to this yet?

I've the exact same issue but on an iPhone, the silly thing is it'll keep pausing whilst in the house but if i leave the house and walk 2 minutes away it'll stay on the TV absolutely fine. 

The same happens with an Android. 

I can't imagine this is a Chromecast or WIFI issue as sports, Youtube and other apps work absolutely fine. 

I have followed steps to clear cache and reinstall the app on my phone - it didn't make any difference.

I've upvoted the other thread to ask to get this sorted. I don't have this problem with any other casting apps (YT, BBC iPlayer, Hayu, etc, etc).

I've just now tried a suggestion by others to kill the Spotify app as soon as I started casting. After 2 songs it hasn't crashed - will see if that will last.

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

It's a good idea to give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. This one is more thorough than the usual one.

If that doesn't do the trick, you might be experiencing this issue. You can add your +Vote and Subscribe to the thread so you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator

Do you know any alternative to Spotify? I am getting a bit fed up with it. Customer service is pretty bad too with no one available to talk to. I don't even know a number to call.

I use YouTube Music these days.

I've tried clearing Google Home and Spotify app cache, unlinking and linking Spotify as a default music in Google Home, casting from android pixel phone or desktop to no avail. The periodic music pause or buffering is chronic. I get a sporadic warning on the app that "no internet connection found." Checking the Chromecast data feed and I see no discontinuity in data feed. Maybe Google is not authenticating and interrupting Spotify feed? I recall Spotify and Google was not getting along. I will be dropping this subscription if Spotify does not fix the problem that has been around since 2016.

Suggested posts