Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Connect vs Airplay

Solved!

Connect vs Airplay

Hi All

I currently have connect working fine with one iOS device hard connected to my amp and another iOS device operating as the remote.

I am contemplating purchasing a Harmon Kardon Aura. This speaker is not Connect enabled but it does support Airplay.

My iOS App currently does not display an Airplay symbol, just the connect symbol where I can select the output device. Will the Airplay symbol appear when there is an Airplay device on my network? If not, how do I select between Airplay and Connect?

Daft question:- what are the main differences between connect and Airplay?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The airplay symbol appears in the "Connect" window when an Airplay device is detected on your network.

The main difference between them is Airplay streams data from the device you are using to the selected device. Spotify Connect devices all stream from the internet on their own. For Spotify, you will most likely get much better quality sound from Connect.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@P1lts

yup you get both symbols - connect looks like a speaker icon, airplay looks like a rectangular icon with a triangle pyramid.

Both sources will be presented to you but you can only connect to one source at a time.

Apple Airplay - Works only if your device and your speaker is on the same wifi network

Spotify Connect - Works anywhere around the world as long both your phone and speaker has internet access.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Marked as solution

The airplay symbol appears in the "Connect" window when an Airplay device is detected on your network.

The main difference between them is Airplay streams data from the device you are using to the selected device. Spotify Connect devices all stream from the internet on their own. For Spotify, you will most likely get much better quality sound from Connect.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks, that makes sense. So if you have both Airplay and Connect devices on the network, do you get both symbols available?

As the HK Aura isn't Connect enabled I would have to use Airplay but I wouldn't want to lose the connect option for my other amp.

Thanks.
Marked as solution

@P1lts

yup you get both symbols - connect looks like a speaker icon, airplay looks like a rectangular icon with a triangle pyramid.

Both sources will be presented to you but you can only connect to one source at a time.

Apple Airplay - Works only if your device and your speaker is on the same wifi network

Spotify Connect - Works anywhere around the world as long both your phone and speaker has internet access.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Thanks for that. I also thought both iOS devices had to be on the same wifi network for connect to work. You learn something new everyday! 🙂

Hi,

With my just purchased HK BDS280S the differencw between Airplay & connect is the opposite....with airplay the sound quality is better compared to the connect. But with Aiplay the response time is ca 1 sec so I need to choose either fast response (Connect) or better sound quality (Airplay).

BR,

Renee

Mmm 1 question: u sad connect works if both devixe and speaker has internet, but how i link tbe first ti e the speaker to show i have spotify premium ? I think bith have to bevon tbe same network, because the speaker dont start automatically connect only if connected to wifi

Suggested posts