Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Continually Crashing on iPhone

Continually Crashing on iPhone

Hey Spotify. I've been having major problems recently with the iPhone app. Whether it's 5 seconds, or 2 minutes, or 10 minutes (never lasts longer than that), my Spotify app keeps crashing. It's become very annoying because it's been happening for 3 weeks. I've done every update, uninstalled and reinstalled, etc. Nothing has changed and I pretty much cannot get through a song without having to reload the app. I've been getting very frustrated and am looking into switching back to Apple Music. Even after the iOS 9 update this morning it instantly crashed when I started it up.
31 Replies

Hello!
Sorry for the inconvenience. Please fill out this template:

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Brief description of the issue:

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. First I did this
  2. Then I did that
  3. I also did this

What steps you’ve tried already:

Your device and operating system (e.g. iPhone 5, iOS 😎

Type of Spotify account you have (Free or Premium):

The app version of Spotify you’re using:

Any screenshots, if they can help to explain your issue:

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Have a great day!

Hey Spotify. I've been having major problems recently with the iPhone app. Whether it's 5 seconds, or 2 minutes, or 7 minutes (never lasts longer than that), my Spotify app keeps crashing. It's become very annoying because it's been happening for 3 weeks. I've done every update, uninstalled and reinstalled, etc. Nothing has changed and I pretty much cannot get through a song without having to reload the app. I've been getting very frustrated and am looking into switching back to Apple Music. Even after the iOS 9 update this morning it instantly crashed when I started it up.

1. First, I opened the application.
  2. Then I selected a song.
  3. After anywhere from 5 seconds to 7 minutes, the application crashes.

- I have updated my software on the computer, iPhone, and Spotify app through the app store.

- I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application on my iPhone, having to resync all songs.

- I have restarted my phone multiple times with a hard reset.

- I have logged out and logged back in to the application.

Type of Spotify account you have (Free or Premium): Premium

iPhone 5s iOS9

The app version of Spotify you’re using: 4.2.0.1025

Hello!
You forgot to tell us your device and OS, can you please edit the post and add it?
Thanks!

Done. Just did that edit.

Thanks! I've escalated this post to Spotify, they will have a look at it 😉

Thank you. Any timeline on when I'll hear back?

Hey @user-removed

I talked to a community moderator and they suggest this:

Try removing your offline devices from this page (note: there is currently a bug that lists certain devices as "default")

You'll need to re-sync any offline tracks after,

Does that help at all?

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks @MattSuda for the tip. I went and unsynced the three devices. I then quit and reopened spotify. After 5 minutes of listening, it crashed again so that wasn't it. Reopened it hoping it would just be that one time, but it immediately happened after just a minute. Can somebody give me a call? I haven't been able to listen to music on Spotify now for a month. 😞

Hey @user-removed

Sorry to hear about this. Just to confirm, is this happening with both streamed tracks and downloaded tracks for offline playback, or just one of them?

Are you syncing any playlists after an install before playing any music?

Could you also try another reinstall and let me know how you get on? I've performed a couple of tweaks behind the scenes on your account.

Hello Spotify Moderator Pete

i have been encountering the same problem as the user @jaymuller92 could you please help due to this problem is getting me very frustrated 

Hey @levina_97

Thanks for joining the thread. What iPhone device and OS are you using?

Have you followed the troubleshooting steps so far?

Catherine

Hi, having the same problem as decribed above. 

When opening the iOS App it mostly says you are offline and it tries to connect. 

IMG_3467.PNG

Then:

a) it crashes

b) it starts working, however not for longar than 1 or 2 songs, then it crashes.

During that period, sometimes

a) online streaming is possible

b) sometimes not

IMG_3468.PNG

(see at the bottom: trying to connect ...)

1. it always happens

1. deleted app on the iPhone and re-installed it, no change
  2. re-booted the iPhone, no change
  3. disconnected all syncs as recommended, no change
  4. checked if there is a difference if desktop version is running or not, no differenc

Your device and operating system (e.g. iPhone 5, iOS 😎

iPhone 6plus

iOOS 9.1 

Type of Spotify account you have (Free or Premium):

Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using:

@Thomas_Dus, How much music do you have when you start spotify on your phone? A fact: I have always known new IOS versions to be VERY BUGGY after they come out. Sometimes for a long time. Have you updated your IOS lately?

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Follow me: Google+ | Spotify | Spotify Community

Colonel_Collin: I'd say I have pretty much: 3.598 "starred" songs and +100 playlists. And yes, the problem may is in conjunction with iOS 9, at least I had no problems with previous iOS versions.

I reccomend not installing any further updates. It may take awhile for your phone to adjust right now.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Follow me: Google+ | Spotify | Spotify Community

Hey @levina_97,

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

Are you still experiencing issues with your Spotify?

What is the device, iOS version and Spotify version?

Can you give a reinstall a try following the steps here?

Let us know how you get on.

Hey @Thomas_Dus,

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with Spotify.

Can you remove all your offline devices here? Then, reinstall Spotify following these steps. 

After that, you'll need to sync your offline tracks again. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Dear Pricilla,

thanks for the advice. I did all the recommended steps and it worked absolutely fine ... until I switched on the off-line button in my songs (>3.600 songs). Even during the download I experienced the first crash. And even after restarting the app it crashed within the first song. After this I switched the off-line mode button back to off and the app works fine again. So, it seems clear that the problem is somewhere around the off-line mode. Either a general problem or in conjunction with the number of my songs (exceeding the maximum of 3.333 off-line songs). Is this a known problem?

Hey @Thomas_Dus,

Thanks for the extra info.

Can you open up the app > Settings > Playback > Toggle Offline Mode on here?

Let us know if this changes anything.

Thanks!

Suggested posts