Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Continually Crashing on iPhone

Continually Crashing on iPhone

Hey Spotify. I've been having major problems recently with the iPhone app. Whether it's 5 seconds, or 2 minutes, or 10 minutes (never lasts longer than that), my Spotify app keeps crashing. It's become very annoying because it's been happening for 3 weeks. I've done every update, uninstalled and reinstalled, etc. Nothing has changed and I pretty much cannot get through a song without having to reload the app. I've been getting very frustrated and am looking into switching back to Apple Music. Even after the iOS 9 update this morning it instantly crashed when I started it up.
31 Replies

I'm having the same issue. It seems to happen when I'm driving and my phone switches from WiFi, to 4G , to no service etc. and it crashes. I have about 3,000 songs saved offline, so that shouldn't make a difference. I have the newest iOS and Spotify is updated as well. I've tried uninstalling which was no help either. The only thing that helps is listening in airplane mode, but I listen to spotify about 8 hours a day from my phone, so that's not always an option. 

Hey @lojaned

Welcome to the Community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this too.

Can you let me know if any of the previous troubleshooting suggested has helped?

What's the model of your iPhone?

Thank you

I have also been having this issue for at least a month: I have an iPhone 6 and am running iOS 9.1. My current version of Spotify is 4.3.0, and I am a premium user. I have tried reinstalling Spotify (including disconnecting it first from the Spotify website) and restarting my phone.

Right now, I can only get Spotify to work consistently if it is in offline mode. I just reinstalled it this morning and have been trying all day to download/sync a couple of my playlists (about 2,000 songs). It has been crashing anywhere from every few seconds to every few minutes (never more than 10 mins) while downloading/syncing. I am connected to WiFi.

Before I reinstalled, I could play my offline tracks if I put Spotify in offline mode. As soon as I switched to online mode, it crashed within a few minutes. This was the case whether I was connected to WiFi or not.

Please let me know if there is something else I can try!

Like I have said before, if preventable, do not install any new IOS updates on your phone. IT WILL mess your phone up. 

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Follow me: Google+ | Spotify | Spotify Community

I have an iPhone 6 and this only started when I updated to iOS 9 in September. I never had a problem in the year I was using Spotify before that. So far none of these have changed anything, but I'm still going through the ideas.

So I've tried all of the solutions listed here and it's still happening. 

When I tried unsyncing and resyncing my devices, that actually helped for a little bit, until I hit about 1,000 synced songs, and then it started crashing again. Which is kind of what @Thomas_Dus was talking about. 

My player also will work if I only use it in offline mode. 

Dear ,

thanks for the suggestion. When trying it I experienced - although it "helped" that it doesn't really make sense. Being in offline mode I can't donwload any of my songs and I can't even listen to any other song as streaming is off too. Trying to download all of my songs and then going on offline mode may help, however I never got to that point as the app started crashing again and again ...

Would you be able to pass the issue others like lojaned seem also having on to the deleopers?

Was anyone able to find anything else out on this? I'm still having issues. To summarize:

• Spotify crashes after <5 minutes of being open 
  • It only occurs when you have synced songs and you're using over data or wifi.
  • Spotify will work fine in offline mode.
  • After troubleshooting by unsyncing all devices and resyncing, my device only crashed after syncing about 1,000 songs. Before that, it was fine. 
  • Everyone experiencing this problem is using the most current Apple iPhone iOS.

Any help would be awesome! 

Dear lojaned,

I'm having the same problems too for som many weeks now. I think there were already 3 updates without any change to our problemm. Very, very disappointing ....

@lojaned, maybe having over one thousand songs overloads the phone.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Follow me: Google+ | Spotify | Spotify Community

Unfortunately I've already downloaded the update. The only way I could go back is if I restored my phone and I don't want to do that.

There should be a solution that allows Spotify to still work even if you already updated...

I'm pretty frustrated too. I've been on multiple forums and nothing has helped. I'm going to have to get rid of my account if this can't be fixed. I'm basically paying for nothing right now.

Suggested posts