Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Daily Drive plays yesterday's news

Daily Drive plays yesterday's news

I'm using IOS and CarPlay. When I start Spotify and select Daily Drive, sometimes it resumes playing from my previous session, which may have been the previous day. I will get the NPR newscast from yesterday, for example. 

Spotify may have been running already on my phone before I got in car and started CarPlay, and the Spotify IOS app may just be in the state it was in yesterday. But it is not reasonable for the user to have to manually kill the app and restart it. I'm driving, so it's a safety issue to have to deal with something like this. The app should be smart enough to refresh and play today's content.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? If not, this app should be made a little smarter.

6 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

I'd also suggest updating to iOS 13.1.3 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Thanks. I am running IOS 13.1.3 and Spotify IOS app 8.5.27.1156.

Again today, I got in my car and selected Daily Drive, and it played the NPR newscast that I heard yesterday. I restarted my iphone, re-launched Spotify and tried again. Then I got the current day's content. 

It's not reasonable to have to do a restart everytime before listening, especially when driving. I hope Spotify can fix this problem, because I love the Daily Drive concept.  But this is not a real product until Spotify fixes this problem.

Hey @rambutan,

Could you try using the Sign Out Everywhere and Remove Offline Devices from your Spotify account page to see if that helps?

Thanks 🙂

OK, I have done that and I'll try on my commutes next few days, and report results.  Thanks.

Hi Loxer, 

The problem still occurs. This morning (10-22-2019) on my morning commute, I plugged in my phone, using CarPlay I selected Spotify, I selected Daily Drive, and I got the 10-21-2019 NPR newscast. (it displayed that date on my display, and indeed it was yesterday's content playing)  

What I did then was select "Back" to go to my top-level Spotify menu. I selected Daily Drive again. This time it played the correct (today's) NPR news!

So, it seems if Spotify is left running on the phone, then next time you use CarPlay and access Daily Drive you can get the old content. Back-ing out and selecting it again, it works correctly on the 2nd play.  Or I can make sure I kill the Spotify app on my phone and re-launch it each time I get in the car. But honestly, as a user, I should not have to worry about any of this. The protocol between Spotify app and the Spotify cloud should ensure that whenever a user starts playing a podcast, or any selection, the most-current version gets played.  (I'm actually surprised that the previous day's NPR stream is still accessible! Maybe it's playing a cached copy on my phone?)  

I'm hoping Spotify can fix this. I like the Daily Drive feature, but I'm not willing to futz around to make it work every time.

Hey @rambutan,

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Try killing the app or clearing the queue manually.

I'd also suggset giving another try to the quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

Let me know if that does the trick for the next day.

Suggested posts