Premium

Country

Hungary

Device

iPhone SE

Operating System

iOS 12.1.4

My Question or Issue

How can I set Spotify as the default music player? When I pull up the menu from the bottom, there is a music player tile with 3 buttons. When I press the play button, it should start spotify, but it always started Apple Music. I have already deleted Apple Music (I think I cannot delete it from the iPhone, maybe the removal deletes only the icon), but then every time I press the play button, iPhone asks me if I want to restore Apple Music. When I open Spotify, then the player in this menu shows the actually playing music. What can I do to solve this?

5 Replies

Hey @Adam87487.

Thanks for posting your question in the Community 🙂

Unfortunately iOS devices don't allow you to set Spotify as the default for playing music on your phone.

What kind of tracks are you trying to play on your phone which are opening in Apple Music instead of Spotify? Let us know and we'll see what we can suggest next.

Thanks! We'll be looking out for your reply 😉

Hey Peter.

Thanks for your answer, I guessed that Apple has problems with giving the default role to a 3rd party app.

@Peter wrote:

What kind of tracks are you trying to play on your phone which are opening in Apple Music instead of Spotify? Let us know and we'll see what we can suggest next.

I didn't mean any specific kind of tracks. When I open Spotify, it allows me to continue playing the last played list. This works the same way as in Apple Music. However, when I pull up the bottom menu, there's a music player controller (circled with red on my picture), on which when I press the play button, it wants to start Apple Music app, and continue the last played list from there, even when the app is deleted, it wants to restore it. When I open Spotify and start playing from the Spotify app, then these buttons start to work with Spotify. I just wanted this play button not to ask about the Apple Music app, just start Spotify (if it's not started) and continue the last played list.

IMG_4642_LI.jpg

hey, so I’ve had this issue for a while and I just fixed it. Since IOS 10 Apple has started letting users delete the default apps off the phone including iTunes and Apple’s music app. By deleting both of these of my phone, the Spotify app automatically became the default as it was the only “music” app on my phone. The control center widget for music on my phone is now on Spotify, even if it’s not running in the background. 

Yes, the same on my phone. The problem is, when I don't use Spotify for a longer time (2-3 days), then it resets, and the control center widget is on nothing, and when I press something it asks me to restore the Apple Music app. I want it to start the Spotify app in this case too.

F Apple

Suggested posts