Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Devices don't appear under "Devices", Local files won't sync

Devices don't appear under "Devices", Local files won't sync

Devices are not showing up under "Device."

Local tracks are no longer syncing for offline listening.

I have Windows 7. I have an iPhone 4s. I have an iPod Touch 4.

All of these worked fine together a month ago. Then suddenly, without any changes on my part, I've had these troubles.

The firewall allows Spotify. The devices and the Windows desktop application are working on the same wireless connection.

Please, is there anyone from Spotify who: 1) Knows about these problems; 2) Knows how to fix them?

18 Replies

Tommyhinshaw - Firstly, I would suggest a clean reinstall on your devices. It may be that the app has become outdated, as we've released an update in the the iOS app in the last few weeks.

Could you try and open the following ports on your router:

78.31.8.0/21
193.182.8.0/21

As well as this, do you have UPnP enabled on your router at all?
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

UPnP is enabled on the router.

I don't know how to open the ports on my router. I tried for 45 minutes and it's clear as mud.

I know how to get to my router settings, but where/how to type in 78.31.8.0/21 and 193.182.8.0/21 , I haven't a clue.

Could you tell me how that would be done on a Linksys E2000 (Cisco)?

Thank you,

Tom

Don't know why, but this afternoon the devices suddenly started showing up under Devices. And local files were suddenly syncable.

Only thing that really happened, in addition to tinkering (probably) worthlessly with the router this morning ... was that I downloaded today's app update for my iPhone, but not the iPod Touch.

When I got home, the devices were there.

The only trouble I've had since then is that new playlists are extremely slow about showing up once made.

Hmm ok. This is a little strange. You're the second person to say they just started working again. Anyway, great to hear it's working again. If it's being difficult again, just get in touch.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I'm a premium member, and I cannot get my local files to sync to my iPhone 4. My phone and laptop are on the same wireless network, and it's not showing up in "Devices" on Spotify.

Hi RRL -jeans- Welcome to the Community.

Have you already tried the suggestions Sam mentions above, as well as making sure Spotify is a known exception for all firewalls? A clean installation of the app on your iPhone 4 is also worth trying.

If your phone still isn't showing up under 'Devices' please confirm your operating system/ Spotify version. In the meantime, a few users have posted some other workarounds right here.

i am having the same problem with my Ipod touch 4th gen App: 0.6.0.181, Spotify Core: 0.7.1.6554, and windows PC version: 0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8 and ive had it with the last 2 versions as well. ports are open on my router, i followed the "click here" link from above and the "new playlist" glitch/thing did not work. 

im trying to sync a song i got from soundcloud that spotify and itunes do not have and it wont sync if they're connected to the same wifi, and since my ipod wont show on devices i can't sync it that way either. when i try making new playlists and move songs around and they show up to my ipod instantly and ive synced songs previously this way too but its just this song that it really doesnt like(ironicly the song is one of my favorits:P). so i really have a 2 part problem, thanks.

@DumA1024 wrote:

i am having the same problem with my Ipod touch 4th gen App: 0.6.0.181, Spotify Core: 0.7.1.6554, and windows PC version: 0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8 and ive had it with the last 2 versions as well. ports are open on my router, i followed the "click here" link from above and the "new playlist" glitch/thing did not work. 

im trying to sync a song i got from soundcloud that spotify and itunes do not have and it wont sync if they're connected to the same wifi, and since my ipod wont show on devices i can't sync it that way either. when i try making new playlists and move songs around and they show up to my ipod instantly and ive synced songs previously this way too but its just this song that it really doesnt like(ironicly the song is one of my favorits:P). so i really have a 2 part problem, thanks.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Make sure you are running Spotify as administrator. You can do this by right clicking on the icon on your desktop and selecting "Run as Administrator". Does that help?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have tried everything to get my iphone to show under devices and nothing works. nor will my playlists sync. im trying premuim free for 30 days does this not cover getting spotify on your iphone?

@adelaideking wrote:

I have tried everything to get my iphone to show under devices and nothing works. nor will my playlists sync. im trying premuim free for 30 days does this not cover getting spotify on your iphone?

You should have full premium access for those 30 days. 

Can you stream okay on the device? 

Peter

Peter

Hello,

My Spotify is not seeing my devices for a sync. I have a wireless connection and was curious if this has to have internet access to work properly with device discovery ( I am not sure why it would)  I have no firewall an iphone 5 with currently updated app and have tried installing and reinstalling spotify on the main computer ( running windows 8 )

I have tried USB in and being on the same home wireless. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Unfortunately will have to cancel membership if not resolved. 

Tha

Do I have this right - your windows machine is connected to a wireless router which isn't connected to the internet? If so, that's fine. Your iphone is connected to the same wireless network but, with spotify open on it, the phone doesn't show under "Devices" in the desktop client?

• Please check that UPnP is enabled in your router settings
  • Temporarily disable all firewalls, antivirus and security software on your windows machine
  • Ensure that spotify is ope on your iphone and that it is not in offline mode
  • Check that it is connected to the same wireless network
  • If it still isn't showing in the desktop client, restart the router
  • Do not use a USB connection at any stage

Does it show up now?

I'm afraid none of the suggested fixes have worked. I've also opened the ports on my router which are suggested in other threads. Could this be an issue with iOS 7 and the iPhone 5s. Or do you think it might be because there's no Internet connection?

I should mention I'm using Windows 8 for PC. And have disallowed any thing in the networking settings that could cause trouble

@JohnBradley wrote:
I'm afraid none of the suggested fixes have worked. I've also opened the ports on my router which are suggested in other threads. Could this be an issue with iOS 7 and the iPhone 5s. Or do you think it might be because there's no Internet connection?

Is there no internet connection on the wireless network? 

I'm not 100% sure, but it is possible the application needs an internet connection (on the mobile device) to update the Spotify servers to say it now has those tracks available to it. 

Peter

Peter

All the suggested ideas haven't worked, so I tried tethering the laptop to my phone (iPhone 4s) which caused it to work.  Avoid the whole problem of using a wireless router

78.31.8.0/21 and 193.182.8.0/21

The way that individual wrote is is the way Static IP's are set. A /21 is associated with well over 50 static IP's lol. But don't worry, what he meant to say is open up this individual port 21.

The IP addresses he provided are also wrong, those are more than likely associated with his internal LAN devices. Your IP address would differ from his.

To open a port you simply do what is known as a Port Forwarding. Simply navigate the GUI over to the tab that says things like "Port Foward/Port Trigger" Make sure you pick Port Forward and then simply figure out what IP Addresses your devices are under. It should tell you the IP Addresses under connected devices.

After you have all that information simply Port Forward port 21-21 on one IP and then the same on the other.

If tethering works, it simply boils down to the configuration settings on the router. Which you need to check with the router vendor for more details about port forwarding and things like that.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Suggested posts