Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Genius Lyrics Auto Pop-up

Solved!

Disable Genius Lyrics Auto Pop-up

Okay so I'm not a big fan of the Genius Behind the Lyrics option. But at least you could just ignore it by not clicking on it. Not anymore. Spotify's latest iOS update makes the "Behind the Lyrics" window pop-up automatically and you can't see the album cover anymore. This is incredibly annoying. I'm not asking to remove this feature since I doubt you would anyways (based on your history of ignoring issues on this site). But at the very least you can revert the feature back to how it was. We like our album covers, thank you very much!

35 Replies

It's definitely a step in the right direction! I'd rather this that it just doing it automatically

I like the way lyrics can be seen in Apple Music. Hidden away under the three dots and shown all at once so I can read at my leisure. I'd love to see lyrics in Spotify, but not in the way they're currently implemented in a stupid little slideshow. Certainly not at the expense of the great swipe down to hide artwork feature. It's just so unergonomic to have to swipe all the way from the top of the screen. Plus I sometimes end up bringing down the notification centre.

Also, I don't seem to have the option to disable Genius under playback as shown in off-white's screenshot. I hope I'm not caught up in one of Spotify's multivariate tests. God, I hate those things.

AppleMusic.png

I'm about to cancel as well. Have you found a solution? Driving me crazy! I'll use my money elsewhere. Bad decision on their part!

It's now an option to turn off in Spotify Settings. Go to Your Library >
Settings (upper right corner) > Playback then scroll down until you see
Behind the Lyrics. Disable and enjoy.

I disabled Behind the lyrics in the settings. But it doesn't work, still shows the Behind the lyrics.

Its easy to turn off on Android 

Go to Settings --> Uncheck Behind the lyrics.....

Hi all!

Thanks for your feedback on the Behind the Lyrics feature so far. We're always testing things in order to improve Spotify, and there's more info about why do it here.

As other users have pointed out, you should now have the option to disable the feature within your app's Settings menu. If you follow these steps to ensure you're on the latest version, you should now be seeing the function. 

We'll be right here if you have any other questions.

Same here it's annoying as **bleep**

When I reinstall I lose all my downloaded songs AND it doesn't work

Marked as solution

I was actually super glad they brought back lyrics to at least one device but the forced story about the song is really the most annoying part. I'd love to disable the story part.

Why can't you just give us an option to turn this off completely?  As seen on off-white's video, it's still there, slightly less annoying, but still annoying as f&*%.

Please listen to what people are saying.  Obviously a fair few users don't have any need or want the "feature", no matter what "improvements" you claim to make.

Are Apple music still doing the 3 month free trial?  Might be time to make the switch, but after being such a long time user of Spotify, it's not something I really want to do.

Have you found a way to turn this off COMPLETELY? It's super annoying. The Spotify user community has been fighting this 'product' for months now and I feel like Spotify isn't going to give up on it. I might actually start looking for a differen music streaming service. I'm sick of this continually coming up. I don't want to see it wiggling there. I never want this feature. Period. 

hello - this is disabled in my app on my phone, but all of a sudden behind the lyrics shows up regardless when i am casting.

Hi, it's on for every effin song when using Spotify on chromecast. No idea how to switch it off. This is so annoying; it would be alright to just have the lyrics, but this 'behind the' info is just uncalled for.

This feature should be optional only, not forced upon us with no way to disable it.

THE disable option doesn’t work for me, i toggle it off and still shows the Genius, is annoying because you can’t swap songs unless the notification dissapears, any idea??? 

Same probleme here. These genius texts suddenly appeared yesterday evening although I didn't do anything! (And yes, Genius is disabled on my iOS App.)

How can I disable Genius when casting to my TV?

Datei 10.02.18, 19 25 07.jpg

Suggested posts