Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloaded music won’t play offline

Downloaded music won’t play offline

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 14.0.1

My Question or Issue

I already read a couple of answers to my issue but none of them helped. I am trying to find a way to fix this problem without reinstalling my application, as I already did this over a month ago. So far, I cleared my cache. I turned offline mode on and off. I changed networks. I reset my phone. I updated my phone. As i said before, I reinstalled the app and then redownloaded everything before. This worked for a short time and now i’m having the same issue. I have around 3200 songs downloaded and it would take a while to redownload them again. Is there any other way I can solve this issue? I really love Spotify and I would hate to let it go because of this. The main reason I got Spotify premium in the first place was to play songs offline, and unfortunately, I cannot even do that anymore. 😞

20 Replies

Hey there @Razzzii,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you double-check so you followed these exact steps of a clean reinstall. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Also - does this occur on one specific device or multiple devices?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Okay i did a clean reinstall and it works for the most part but there are still a couple of downloaded songs that wont play offline

Hi there @Razzzii,

Thanks for getting back to us with that info.

Are all the unplayable songs part of a specific playlist or are the random through multiple playlists/albums?

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It was in every playlist.. mainly my downloaded playlist as well. It only plays songs that I have recently listened to with wifi. 
Anyways, I fixed the problem before when i did a clean reinstall but it hasn’t even been a month yet, and i now have the same issue. I can’t keep reinstalling the app and redownloading all 3400 songs. This issue is really making me consider moving to a different music app and this makes me sad because i love spotify. 

Hey there @Razzzii,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Would you mind letting us how much storage space does your device have available?

Also, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

Additionally, let us know if this is only happening on your phone or on a different device too. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have found the Playlists by Spotify do not seem to de-load but Playlists created by me or anyone else are de-loaded regularly.

Hi there @Peter1945,

Thanks for your comment on this thread.

Just to confirm, the Spotify-created playlists are being downloaded but can't be played while offline, or they aren't being downloaded at all?

Could you let us know if that happens with any playlist created by Spotify or with some specific ones?

We also recommend taking a look and follow the recommendations in this article.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Hi,
The Spotify Playlists are downloaded, are not de-downloaded regularly and can be played offline (they have the green arrow icon all the time).
My created playlists are downloaded (green arrow), but regularly de-downloaded and not able to be played offline (no green arrow), resulting in me having to download all my created play lists.

Hey there @Peter1945,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you try to download them with another internet connection to see if the issue persist?

If that doesn't do the trick - can you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

Also - does this occur on one specific device or multiple devices?

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi,

I have come to know that I have the same problem as Peter. My downloaded playlists do not work offline, but the playlists that are made by Spotify work fine. 
To answer the previous questions, I have around 4 GB of storage space available on my device, the exact make/model is an iphone 8 model MQ6G2VC/A, the software version is 14.3, and the Spotify version is 8.5.86.739

Hi,

Spot on. I have seen hundreds of people on this site having the same problem for years but Spotify is doing nothing about it. We are paying for the Premium service that states you can play downloaded playlists off-line. This is not true and misleading advertising.
As I mentioned before, the Spotify playlists don’t seem to be affected, but self created play lists are de-downloaded regularly.

Hi Peter,
That sucks:/ Sadly, if this issue doesn’t get resolved soon, I will have to switch to a different music app. I’m travelling on a 26 hour long trip soon and it’ll suck if I can’t listen to anything from my playlists🙄

Hi folks, 

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the information you sent. 

@Razzzii, would you mind sending us a screen recording where we can see the issue happening?

@Peter1945, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device? Also, we'd like to know if this is happening on only one device. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

Yesterday I was able to play the downloaded songs on playlists made by Spotify, but it seems that I can’t today. 
I already did a clean reinstall three times but it just crashes each time after a week or so. To answer a previous question asked, I only download my songs on this device.

Thanks.

Hi Eni,

my iPad is a Mini 4 with IOS 13.7

Spotify Version 8.5.86.739

I mainly use my iPad for Spotify and this is when I find that random playlists have been de-loaded. I sometimes use my Laptop to access Spotify and download songs/playlists, but have not noticed any problems.

Coincidently, I have in the last few days logged off Spotify when not using it, especially at night and have noticed there have been no de-loads. Maybe early days.

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

@Razzzii In this case we'd suggest you head here and contact our support team. The folks there can investigate this further and give you more information about it.

@Peter1945 Just to double-check- does the issue persist? Keep in mind that you need to go online with Spotify every 30 days, so that the system can check your Premium’s still active and count plays to compensate artists. 

We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator

Hi,

The problem still persists. I go online daily.

##- Please type your reply above this line -#

Hey @Peter1945,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

Could you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall? That way you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing any issues.

It's also a good idea to log in to another account on the same device to check if the issue persists. Are there any changes?

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, you know where to find us. 

Ver Moderator

Hi,

With a clean reinstall, will I loose any of my play lists and do I have to re download my play lists?

Suggested posts