Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Duplicates of the same albums

Solved!

Duplicates of the same albums

Plan

Family

Country

UK

Device

iPhone 5S & Windows PC

Operating System

iOS 10 & Windows 7 & 10

My Question or Issue

Why are albums seemingly re-uploaded to the Spotify database with what looks like no changes what so ever?

The result is an unorganised collection of music that is saved across multiple locations i.e. Library and Playlists (and in some cases downloaded) but is not the same as what is available on Spotify's side so users run the risk of saving or even downloading the same track or album twice if they don't pay enough attention.

Below is an example of what I'm describing and what the effects can be if not checked/noticed.

It's worth noting that this is not a case of artists releasing an "updated" or "extended" version; it's exactly the same album.

What is going on?

Album saved in my libraryAlbum saved in my library

The same album as found on the artist's page (not saved)The same album as found on the artist's page (not saved)

The result of saving the not-saved albumThe result of saving the not-saved album

46 Replies

Hey @serpaulius 

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention!

If you're seeing duplicates in Your Library, we believe it's because of an issue related to songs not displaying correctly in your Daily Mixes: sometimes there are songs in Daily Mix which appear as not liked, when in fact they are. So, when you click on the 'heart' icon, it will add the song to Your Library, even though it's already been liked.

We suggest that you head over to this ongoing issue thread and add a vote. We'll keep you posted in that thread and let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Thanks!

Hi Peter,

the presumed reason for our issue was already posted in this thread (second page).

So why head over to another thread that only maybe correlates with this one?

Thanks for a quick reply.

I still think this issue has something to do with different versions of the same album. If you look closer to the previous screenshots, you will see, that their cover art is a bit different, and when you click on each album which you see duplicated of in your library, you see different versions of the same album with different amount of liked songs.

Attached you see 4 screenshots:

1. Liked song from an Innerspeaker Collectors edition

2. Opened album with some liked songs and it links to one type URL

https://open.spotify.com/album/19KL6IwPJMECn2wosxguq7?si=XVLAzmTiS16DOGfpwJ6VGw

3. Go back and press other song from the same titled album

4. Observe different liked songs and a link is a different type of URL

https://open.spotify.com/album/3WH3SNnrxH68c9RBJOMdh8?si=uvx7X_kiSgmFR73hdkbFxA

Capture2.PNG
Capture1.PNG

The two other screenshots as I can only add 3 images at once.

Capture4.PNG
Capture3.PNG

This problem is getting worse and more prominent. No real attempts will ever be made to fix it, I expect, just like their 10,000 song limit
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

We appreciate your feedback regarding duplicate albums appearing in Your Library. We've looked into this carefully, and we'd now like to provide an update.

Several users had reported an issue whereby removing one of the duplicate albums in Your Library would remove both of the saved albums.

We're happy to report that this now seems to be fixed, so that removing the duplicate album should no longer remove both saved albums.

Users had also reported an issue regarding duplicates of songs appearing when saving songs from Daily Mix which did not register properly as being saved to Your Library - this is also now fixed, as reported here.

Regarding the duplicate albums themselves, we just wanted to confirm that this is expected behaviour: artists will sometimes decide to re-upload an album, however, because the new album has a different URI, saving it again will mean that you will end up with ostensibly the same album saved in Your Library.

(Note that this is different to instances of artists who have duplicate albums appearing on their Artist profiles - you can see how to report such issues here).

If you would like to make a suggestion for how this functionality could be improved, e.g. by suggesting a feature which could solve this, you can do so by submitting an idea via the Idea Exchange. This is the best way for us to gauge the relative popularity of different ideas among users.

We hope this clears up some of the queries that users have been having regarding duplicate albums on Spotify.

If you do have any further questions, we'd love to hear from you! Make sure to start a new thread in the Accounts help board here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. 

Thanks again!

Suggested posts