Duplicates of the same albums

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: Duplication issue (continued)

Roadie

Hey @Peter,

Are you able to comment the content behind the URLs?

Highlighted

Roadie

Hey @Peter,

Sorry to pester but have you had chance to look at this?

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I have this issue with these: 

https://open.spotify.com/album/2Ot1QoNbmHYTzXQDTuWnvO?si=-KZ4fQX7TfSz8oeoF50rXQ

https://open.spotify.com/album/0JwHz5SSvpYWuuCNbtYZoV?si=eAbwXnfZTZu10J8IyVZzCA

two different copies of the same ablum. I have one of them saved and tracks from it included in various playlists, and it has almost no listens, as tracked by the popularity/plays bar. The other one I do not have saved, and has many plays. I've had the same problems specified before other times I ran into this problem: if I save the "right" album, then unsave the "wrong" one, both are unsaved, and I have to re-save the new one again. Similar problems ensue with trying to fix playlists that contain songs from the album.

Highlighted

Roadie

Hey @anomaly,

Great to see my question has brought someone else’s attention to the table.

Hopefully with the right kind of help and the right kind of evidence from us (and possibly others) we can get this issue resolved; stick around and I’m sure we can be a big help to whoever takes this issue on.

Note: I also have seen that the versions I have saved don’t have many listeners.

Highlighted

Spotify Legend

Thanks for getting back to us @Magic_13ananas and sorry for the delay we've been checking this out with the guys backstage. 

It looks like the duplicate albums are appearing when an artist has reuploaded their music to Spotify. When an old version is removed, the original URI starts redirecting to the newer version but it looks like in some cases this is duplicating the album instead. 

We'll pass this onto the right team to take a look at. Just as a heads up, they'll be unable to go back and correct the current duplicates in your library, but hopefully they can look into it to stop it happening in the future. In the meantime, to correct your current library you'll need to go through an unsave any repeats. It shouldn't matter which one, as they'll be linking through to the same place. 

Hope this clears things up! Any questions, just ask 😊

Highlighted

Roadie

Hi @TomLegend,

It probably sounds like I'm being awkward for the sake of it--I promise I'm not lol--but I'm a little confused.

You say "the original URI starts redirecting to the newer version" and "It shouldn't matter which one, as they'll be linking through to the same place" but myself and (so far just) @anomaly have noticed that the versions we have saved have significantly fewer listens than the versions available in the artists' pages, implying that they are in fact not the same(?)

It has got me thinking though about how sometimes when I open spotify (phone) and for some reason, it starts re-downloading random songs in my library or playlists; is this linked in anyway?

Highlighted

Spotify Legend

Hey @Magic_13ananas

Hmm, on desktop if you hover the play count on desktop it gives the total number of plays. It looks like the visual representation bar is potentially not catching up - I'll flag this with the team too!

I can see on I've got a duplicate copy of The Handome Family album Singing Bones, where this happening:

• The newest update is here - spotify:album:3u4rZDOy1c7N0otfHS0qTj
  • The older one is here - spotify:album:5pFyvgrdaeCRXbIDTI74Dr

If you hover over the first track The Forgotten Lake, you'll see the total number of plays is currently around 599,305. Also, worth noting the slight change in artwork between the two albums, one is a lighter blue than the other - this will have been why there was an update to it.

And, your thinking is exactly right - when you notice that Spotify is redownloading songs it's most commonly this, or a playlist that you have downloaded has had songs changed in it. For example, if you have Discover Weekly downloaded to your phone this'll update itself every Monday. 

If there's anything else, let me know! 

/T

Highlighted

Roadie

Hey @TomLegend,

I think I’m starting to see what’s going on now, thanks for the responses; it’s good (in a kind of bad way) that you have a duplicate too so it’s not a completely isolated issue.

What I don’t understand though is why new versions are uploaded along side the old ones instead of simply replacing them. Surely the old versions are not needed for any reason, right?

Highlighted

Spotify Legend

Sorry the confusion, think of it more as there's one version - but two (or more) ways to get there. So, the links for that album above are playing the same version of the track. 

We don't completely remove the old way of reaching the track because otherwise this might break links that people may have shared on websites or social media. If for example The Handsome Family posted a link to their album on Facebook a few years ago and since then had to reupload their album to Spotify, the old link would still direct users to the right place.

/T

Highlighted

Roadie

Hey @TomLegend,

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with them being the same.

Here’s an album I have saved, with 3 tracks marked as explicit

https://open.spotify.com/album/7LYEVLZYDN0nIGMunzfjoJ?si=vGz_qoLqSSOGY-dlt_jkww

But here’s the same album from the artist’s page but with no explicit marks

https://open.spotify.com/album/2wrZ0F6Jjnk0Iyavcq5d1v?si=oYkGBj-2RcCYZ4Zlup8dIQ

Surely they’re not the same?

Sorry for the link types; I’m on my phone

SUGGESTED POSTS