Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Echo devices not showing in device list -- iPhone

Solved!

Echo devices not showing in device list -- iPhone

I set up Spotify on my husband's iPhone and added the two Echo devices we have as well as a "group" we created to incorporate both of those. This has worked fine for months. Today -- the echos and the group have disappeared from the Spotify app. 

This happens OFTEN on my Samsung so I went through all the troubleshooting that typically works for me (all courtesy of this group so thank you so much).  Specifically: 

Disabled the skill in the Alexa app and then enabled it and re-linked

Uninstalled the Alexa app completely from the phone and re-installed and then re-linked. 

Logged out of and back into Spotify 

Uninstalled and re-installed Spotify

None of those are working and I'm at a loss as to what else to try. There is something a little odd -- even though I completely uninstalled Alexa and re-installed it -- when I go to the Alexa app - on the home screen it has a "continue listening" button for Spotify. If I play that -- it shows me the two Echo devices. The problem -- the song that is showing on the home screen is NOT the song that is "currently playing" in the Spotify app.  (I've attached a screen shot if it helps.) 

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. 

20220601_194713.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Settings showed Spotify has access. I toggled on and off. I can now see ALL the devices! I don't know if the toggle helped because I didn't check Spotify today before I tried it but I'm going to say that it did and add this to my list of trouble shooting tips for the future.  Thank you! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hi @barbpf!

Could you check your iPhone's settings and see if Spotify is allowed to access your local network? This option can be found under Settings > Privacy > Local Network.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Settings showed Spotify has access. I toggled on and off. I can now see ALL the devices! I don't know if the toggle helped because I didn't check Spotify today before I tried it but I'm going to say that it did and add this to my list of trouble shooting tips for the future.  Thank you! 

Hey @barbpf,

Thanks for your reply. 

We're glad to know that this is solved on your end. 

Remember the Community is here in case anything else comes up.

Have a great day.

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

What if this does not fix the above stated problem? I have this issue but toggling that setting does nothing.

Hey @Jillpride,

Thanks for your reply in this thread and welcome.

We'd like to gather as much info as possible. Is this happening over WiFi? 3G/4G? Both? Do you notice any difference if you switch the internet red you're using? You can create a hotspot from your phone. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

On another note, can you let us know the exact make/model and OS of affected device along with the Spotify version you have installed?

Lastly, would you mind letting us know what exact troubleshooting you followed aside from what was suggested by @Yordan? If you haven't yet, we'd like you to try a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the Spotify app. You can find out the steps to do it in this article.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I'm back. So some additional info: 

We have two devices here -- an iPhone and an Android. We have a number of Alexa's as well as two groups. 

At least once a week -- either the iPhone or the Android stops showing the Alexa devices (single or in groups). Sometimes the same thing happens on our desktops (both PC's). 

With the help of this group -- I've been able to easily fix the android issue -- disable the Spotify skill and then enable again. 
Unfortunately -- that doesn't work with the iPhone. So far I've tried:|

1. Disabling the Spotify skill and then enabling (more than once.)
2. Toggling on "Show Local Devices Only" in the app settings.

3. Checked Local Network (under privacy) and toggled that on and off.

I'm out of ideas. Any other thoughts? And any thoughts on what would cause this to happen as often as it does on two different devices? 

Hey there @barbpf

Thanks for your reply. 

We'd suggest that you restart your router by unplugging it from the power for a couple of minutes  and check if that makes the difference. 

If the issue persists, would you mind checking if the same happens while using a different internet connection? You can try creating a hotspot on your phone and using that. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

None of these suggestions have worked. All my other echos that are on other networks in different locations show up. The echo I want to play on never shows up. When I tell echo to play something from Spotify it says ok and then no audio plays. Or if I’m listening to a different service like tunein and I say Alexa play blah from Spotify it responds with ok playing blah from Spotify but continues to play the tunein music. 

Hey @Cory123,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

In this case, we'd like to gather some additional info. Would you mind sharing with us exactly what troubleshooting steps you've followed so far? That way. we can avoid repeating any steps.

On another note, we'd recommend to unlink Spotify from Alexa to check if you notice any difference. We suggest to try the following steps:

1. First off, unlink your Spotify and Amazon accounts. Here's how:
    1. Settings in the Echo app offers the option to unlink a Spotify account.
    2. You will be asked again to verify that you want to unlink your account.
    3. As soon as an account is no longer linked, the data leaves the Echo app.
  2. Now it's important to do a soft reset (switch off and then back on) on all Amazon devices you're planning to use, as well as on the devices where you'll use Spotify to stream from.
  3. Then you can set up your preferred Amazon devices (rename them, etc.) and then set Spotify as your default music source again. To do it:
    1. You need to go to the Alexa app on your device.
    2. Under “Music” you can select Spotify from the menu.
    3. When you open the Spotify tab, a link will appear - "Link your account".
  4. To finish the process, log in to your Spotify account page and confirm the connection with Alexa by clicking the green OK button.

This process of unlinking the two accounts should help you reset the data that is also reflected in your Connect picker.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

hi,

If you are stuck in this situation and nothing helps, here is the only solution worked for me and the reason of this issue.

I'm not sure if it is on Spotify-end or on Alexa-end but here is the issue:
if you RENAME your echo device AFTER you link the accounts, then Spotify stops working on Alexa!

The only solution I could find is to FACTORY RESET the Alexa device (Echo Dot etc) and then DON'T RENAME it!
After this step link Spotify with Alexa.
That is it.

In the Spotify app:

Select Profile > Settings > Devices

Toggle 'Show local devices only' off

Select 'Devices menu'

You should be able to see all bluetooth enabled devices that youare able to connect to whether they are on the same network or not.

I found that my Echo pop was not on the same network even though it is using the same Wi-Fi network and paired to a device also using it (still to be understood).

You are a genius! This has been bugging me for months and months.

Suggested posts