Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Eventually can't skip track, and "Don't play this artist" doesn't work

Eventually can't skip track, and "Don't play this artist" doesn't work

• Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 7

Operating System

iOS 14

My Question or Issue

Spotify doesn't actually play music I choose to play. It starts playing (1) other music from the same artist, or (2) sometimes other artists, almost always a popular artist/genre I dislike, and (3) eventually, a string of music from popular artists/genres I dislike. Eventually, after tapping Hide song on a string of music in the latter case or latter two cases, the Hide button turns red and I can't skip the track, even after selecting Don't play this artist. Only after at least one or more attempts of closing and restarting the app and attempting to play a different song will it start over at case 1. Yet it soon reaches cases 2/3 again and it's stuck on Justin Bieber / etc although I requested to not play the artist. Please fix/advise.

4 Replies

Hello @chawke

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

On-demand mobile access is available only for Premium users. However, it's available on selected playlists for Free users as well, there will be no shuffle symbol next to the title of the playlist. That means you can choose a song you want to play and you have unlimited skips.

On other playlists skips are limited to 6 per hour, so even if you tap the don't play this  icon_no.png button, the song will play if you've used all 6 skips. This button is to block a song from playing in that particular playlist, so if you play it again, the song will be skipped automatically. 

You can still play on-demand using e.g. a desktop, even without Premium Subscription.

If you wan't to see the comparison of different Premium plans offered by Spotify, make sure to check out this support article

More detail on how Spotify Free works on mobile can be found here

I hope this shed some light! 

So the lack of ability to skip without paying is annoying but intended, but as far as bugs ago, surely it's a bug if I tap "Don't play this artist" on an artist yet the artist still plays? Happened with Justin Bieber: I tapped Don't play, reopened the app to clear his track and played another track, and it soon came back to him. I double-checked that Don't play was enabled on his artist profile. Same issue would presumably also happen with other artists. Needs to be fixed.

39506920-C110-473E-912B-735C9B928B6A.png

Hi @chawke

In this case you can try clean reinstall of your Spotify app. You can find your device in this article and follow the steps provided there. 

Make sure that your phone OS is updated as well. 

You can also try using a different mobile device, and create a new account to test the issue and see if it might be account related. 

If that doesn't do the trick, a screen recording of the issue showing all the steps of how you experience that would be really helpful! 

Let me know how it goes!

Tried the usual troubleshooting already. A video for this bug is problematic as 1) I've already outlined the steps (above), which are simple and clear, so a video would not really add anything of benefit, 2) I don't know exactly when the issue will occur, given the randomization of artists that play, and 3) it would require sharing my private data (music plays, etc). Would appreciate if this bug is escalated to the development team or advice is provided on how that can be achieved. Thanks.

Suggested posts