Excessive data usage

Npostman
Roadie

I went out for less than 10 minutes and listened to songs I had downloaded to my phone and Spotify used 233 Mb of data. What’s going on here?

FA356270-2206-44A1-8432-7795D4C11435.png
11 Replies

davewarfel
Casual Listener

I wish I knew, but I just wanted to say the same thing happened to me. Just started today.

I have premium and have downloaded all the songs I was listening to. But Spotify used up 400mb of data.

Would love to find out what's going on before all my data is gonezo.

lod_rolfious
Regular

Same here! I uninstalled, reinstalled. 24 mb used just by opening the app

C931B9BF-FA89-4970-8891-28A0261357D5.jpeg

lod_rolfious
Regular

217A72D0-C656-4F56-A95A-769963A96166.jpeg

 after 10 seconds of streaming. App set to data saver

Npostman
Roadie
So it had happened to at least 4 of us. How can we get Spotify to respond? I paid 30 dollars in overage data yesterday because of this.

lod_rolfious
Regular

I asked my colleague to check his Spotify app too last night. 30 secs of streaming and just running in the background for a few minutes. 100 mb used! This seems common. Is the reason why people havent noticed yet that its the start of the month and most people have fresh new monthly caps?

Npostman
Roadie
220 MB in 35 minutes. That’s better than yesterday but still bad.

lod_rolfious
Regular

Seems it might be related to Spotify wrapped. My «video» kept «buffering» and never going full green circle. Seems it has continously loaded data there. Im not 100% sure yet, but I did some tests now, after trying to click myself out of the whole wrapped thing. Data usage is waaaaaay down

davewarfel
Casual Listener

👆 That makes sense, as the wrapped stuff came out around the same time this started, but I never opened wrapped on my phone. I haven't looked at it once. I was just shuffling songs from my "Liked Songs" playlist, which I've had downloaded for many months, and confirmed was still downloaded when the data usage occurred.

Npostman
Roadie
I also was not using wrapped at the time. I was listening to downloaded songs. If it is related to wrapped I think that’s pretty unacceptable from Spotify and I think we deserve some compensation for the overage fees.

CarlosE

Hey folks,

Thanks for your posts.

We rolled out a fix for this and you should be seeing improvements already.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Anselade
Visitor

Used 16GB of sat on spotify this month. wth? Cost me extra $50. Listening to podcasts 40 min each way to work. 

SUGGESTED POSTS